Adult Degree Program
Admitted Students | Current Students | Parents | Faculty & Staff | Alumni | Churches | Donors & Friends

Font size:
Normal Medium Text Large Text

Print this page:Print this page

Whitworth Home Page > Adult Degree Program >

Frequently Asked Questions

For information about Whitworth in the U-District, click here.

Q. I work full time during the day. Is there any way I can complete my bachelor's degree in the evening without going to school forever?

Yes. Whitworth designed its bachelor's-degree programs specifically for working adults. Our accelerated-format courses make it possible for you to complete a bachelor's degree in the evening, in about half the time it would take in a traditional semester- or quarter-credit format.

Q. I don't know where to begin the process of returning to college. What's my first step?

Call us. We can answer your questions and put you in contact with the right person for your needs. For information about the following degree programs, call 509.777.3222.

Q. Is financial aid available for adult evening students?

Yes. Adult students may qualify for federal aid, depending upon their income and the degree program they are entering. Contact the financial aid office at 509.777.3215 for more information.

Adult students should also check with their employers, who often have tuition assistance or reimbursement programs for employees.

Q. I work full time and I have my A.A. degree from a community college in Spokane. How long will it take me to get my bachelor's degree?

That depends on how many credits you want to complete in a year. Typically, students can complete 24-30 semester credits per year by taking a full schedule of accelerated courses (six-week evening courses). A student transferring in with two years of coursework (an A.A. degree) from a community college can usually finish his or her bachelor's degree in approximately 2.5 years.

Q. Does Whitworth accept military credit?

Yes. Depending on what type of credit you've earned, Whitworth does recognize some military credit as college-level coursework. Contact the Whitworth Continuing Studies Office (509.777.3222) for more information.

Q. Will Whitworth's evening bachelor's-degree programs transfer to a master's-degree program?

Yes. You do not actually "transfer" to the graduate school; most master's-degree programs require a bachelor's degree, just as you would need a high school diploma or GED for acceptance into a two- or four-year college. Graduate schools may require specific undergraduate courses in order for you to enter their programs. Check with the master's-degree program you are interested in to determine the undergraduate coursework required for admission.

Q. I have my bachelor's degree but I want to become a public school teacher; can I do that?

Yes. Whitworth offers two options:

  1. If you work full time but still want to work toward your teaching certificate, consider our accelerated-format Evening Teacher Certification (ETC) program for elementary education teaching certification.
  2. The second option is a Master in Teaching (MIT). The MIT is a full-time 14-month program that allows you to earn your teaching credentials and a master's degree at the same time.
  3. Call 509.777.3222 for information

View Student Profiles

Apply Online

Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+ Instagram Directions | Campus Map | Employment | Pod | RSS | Contact Us | Site Map Pirate Port
Copyright © Whitworth University. All Rights Reserved. | 300 W. Hawthorne Road, Spokane, WA 99251 | Campus Phone: 509.777.1000