Whitworth Home Page > Communication Studies Department >
Information for Incoming and Returning Students
Whitworth University will award media talent awards to entering freshmen who have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.5 and who demonstrate potential to excel as student communicators during their time at Whitworth.
To apply for a talent award, please submit the following items for review:
- A résumé
- Three published samples of media work from your school newspaper, yearbook, or other published sources, or three samples of any writing (500 words or fewer each). You may submit these samples as Word documents or PDF files, or you may upload the URLs of samples that are accessible online.
- A 300- to 400-word editorial written on any current issue or controversy discussed in the news media
- A one-page letter describing your interest in journalism and mass communication
To be eligible for media talent awards, applicants must...
- be admitted to Whitworth University.
- be actively considering majoring in journalism and mass communication or communication.
- be enrolled and on staff with the university newspaper (The Whitworthian), the yearbook (Natsihi), the radio station (Whitworth.fm), and/or the public relations agency (Beyond the Pines) throughout their first year.
Submit your application online: http://bit.ly/MediaTalentIncoming
The priority deadline for submitting applications is Feb. 1, 2017. Students who submit their applications by the priority deadline will receive first consideration for scholarships. However, we will continue to consider applications through March 15, 2017. If you have questions, please contact Claire Petersen at 509.777.4739 or email@example.com.For a department flier that describes the talent award for incoming students, please click here.
Whitworth University will offer media talent awards to returning studentswho have a GPA of at least 3.0 and demonstrate the potential to excel as student communicators during their time at Whitworth. Recipients are expected to be involved in some capacity with The Whitworthian, Natsihi, Whitworth.FM, or Beyond the Pines throughout the following academic year.
To apply for a talent award, submit the following items for review:
- Three published samples from The Whitworthian, Natsihi or other source. Students interested in broadcasting may submit links to other video or audio samples of your work. Students interested in public relations may submit writing samples from classes, voluntary experience or internships.
- A one-page letter describing your interest in media
Talent awards are subject to the following guidelines:
- Students must meet eligibility requirements established by the financial aid office and must be full-time students in good academic standing.
- Students will receive the talent awards in two installments; half will be credited to their accounts in the fall and the other half to their accounts in the spring.
- Only communication majors are eligible for these awards.
Submit your application online to http://bit.ly/MediaTalentReturning by Dec. 16, 2016. If you have questions, please contact Claire Petersen at 509.777.4739 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For a department flier that describes the talent award for returning students, please click here.