Whitworth Home Page > Communication Studies Department >
Whitworth University will award media talent awards to entering freshmen who have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.5 and who demonstrate potential to excel as student communicators during their time at Whitworth. Award recipients will be chosen based on the guidelines described below.
To apply for a talent award, please submit the following items for review:
- A résumé
- Three published samples of media work from your school newspaper, yearbook, or other published sources, or three samples of any writing (at least 500 words each). You may submit these samples as Word documents or PDF files, or you may upload the URLs of samples that are accessible online.
- A 300- to 400-word editorial written on any current issue or controversy discussed in the news media
- A letter of up to one page describing your interest in journalism and mass communication
Submit your application online to the following link: http://goo.gl/zq3LDq. If you have questions, please contact Claire Petersen at 509.777.4739 or email@example.com. The priority deadline for submitting applications is Feb. 5. Students who submit their applications by the priority deadline will receive first consideration for scholarships. However, we will continue to consider applications through April 15.
To be eligible for media talent awards, applicants must do the following:
- Be admitted to Whitworth University.
- Be actively considering a communication major (general communication, journalism and mass communication or speech).
- Be enrolled and on staff with the university's newspaper (The Whitworthian), the yearbook (Natsihi), the radio station (Whitworth.fm), and/or the public relations agency (Beyond the Pines) throughout their freshman year.
Whitworth University will offer media talent awards to some returning students who have a GPA of at least 3.0 in the communications major and who demonstrate potential to excel as student communicators during their time at Whitworth. Recipients are expected to be involved in some capacity with the university newspaper (The Whitworthian), the yearbook (Natsihi), the radio station (Whitworth.fm), or the public relations agency (Beyond the Pines) throughout the following academic year.
To apply for a talent award, submit the following items for review:
- Three published samples from The Whitworthian, Natsihi or other source. Students interested in broadcasting may submit links to other video or audio samples of their work. Students interested in public relations may submit writing samples from classes, voluntary experience, or internships.
- A letter of no more than one page that describes your interest in journalism and mass communication.
Submit your application online to http://goo.gl/zq3LDq by Feb. 12.
If you have questions, please contact Claire Petersen at 509.777.4739 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Talent awards are subject to the following guidelines:
- Students must meet eligibility requirements established by the financial aid office and must be full-time students in good academic standing.
- Students will receive the talent awards in two installments; half will be credited to their accounts in the fall and the other half in the spring.
- Talent awards are given for one year only. There is no guarantee that a recipient will be selected in subsequent years.
- Only communication majors are eligible for these awards.