Whitworth Home Page > Composition Commons >
Using the Composition Commons
How to Use the Composition Commons
- Come early in the writing process, and come often.
- Bring a copy of your assignment or writing prompt.
- We can be most helpful if you make an appointment in advance. You can make an appointment online or call x4573 and schedule a half-hour to hour appointment.
- You can simply stop by Room 242, Cowles Library. If a consultant is free, he or she will be happy to work with you right away.
- If you make an appointment, please try to be on time. If you're going to miss your appointment, please call and let us know.
Why Use the Composition Commons?
- to brainstorm your ideas before you choose a topic;
- to build a paper's level of thought and to achieve more clarity through working with thesis, support, organization, and/or mechanics;
- to draft a résumé and cover letter or to discuss scholarship-application essays;
- to discover and develop options, flexibility and control as a writer;
- to learn more about grammar and punctuation skills;
- to build overall skill as a writer.
Who Uses the Composition Commons?
- frosh through senior writers, graduate-student writers;
- writers in any major; writers at all skill levels. Consultants from the center often make appointments with other consultants for assistance with their own writing.
Director of the Whitworth Composition Commons: Jessica Clements, Whitworth English Department, 509.777.4975 or email@example.com.