Whitworth Home Page > Safety & Security >
Fire Safety Equipment, Weapons, and Safety
We must all share a concern for campus safety. As a resident student
you should take time to become acquainted with the location of fire alarms,
fire extinguishers (and hoses), and all exits; you should also know the
fire drill procedures for your residence. When a fire alarm sounds, all
residents are required to leave the building. Failure to exit a building
or returing before the building is cleared may result in a fine or community
service. Do not tamper with fire equipment: it is against state law, it
renders our residences less safe, and if you are caught you will be fined.
Be careful not to raise the risk of injury or death by fire in your residence.
Do not block hallways, stairs, or entries with such items as bikes, boxes,
or furniture. Be careful not to overload the electrical circuits in your
room with an excessive number of small appliances. Avoid using too many
extension cords, and be sure to throw out any defective or damaged cords.
Toasters, hotpots, microwaves, and hairdryers are especially burdensome
on electrical circuits and therefore raise the risk of overload. Be sure
to unplug all appliances when you are gone for a weekend or for vacation.
For safety reasons, firearms, weapons of any kind, and explosives (including
fireworks and firecrackers) are not permitted on campus. Candles and open
flames are not permitted in the residence halls.
For the safety of all residents, outside doors of the residence halls
are not to be propped open. Residents are encouraged to lock their doors
whenever they leave their rooms, and to securely fasten their windows.