Whitworth Home Page > University Recreation Center >
The University Recreation Center (U-Rec) offers experiences that enrich the lives of Whitworth University students through excellent facilities, fitness, sport, adventure and play. We are committed to developing leaders, encouraging life-long healthy lifestyles, and fostering meaningful relationships. We support this mission by focusing on the following guiding principles.
- Creating an inviting, friendly atmosphere that values, embraces, and enriches individual differences by providing programs, services, and staff who reflect the diversity of the institution.
- Providing programming that embodies the concept of “total body fitness” through a holistic approach to physical fitness.
- Being community builders by serving others, exhibiting loyalty, and supporting Whitworth University, student life, campus recreation, our co-workers and our patrons.
- Providing programs and opportunities that allow for student leadership development through hands-on experiences. Students are essential to U-Rec as owners, users and employees.
- Preparing students for the future by empowering them to become independent adults who engage with the people and the world around them.
- Providing an environment that honors God by living the Scripture
(I Corinthians 6:19-20): 19. "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own"; 20. "You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”
- Serving as an internship site for upper-division students majoring in kinesiology, health sciences, and athletic training.
- Offering a facility which is used by instructors to fulfill various fitness components of the kinesiology department’s curriculum.