Home > Residence Life & Housing > Current Students >
Checking In and Checking Out of Your RoomChecking In: Please go to Opening
and Closing Dates to find more information about checking in to your
Checking Out: To check out of your room during the semester,
please make an appointment with your RA to complete your Room Inventory.
At the end of the semester, each resident is also required to complete
a checkout with the RA. Failure to follow this process will result in
an improper-checkout fine (typically $50) plus cleaning costs (typically $50) and loss of housing deposit. Expect a checkout to take about 30 minutes; please plan accordingly.
- Room and/or board refunds (when applicable) will be credited to your student account only AFTER your room checkout paperwork has been processed. The refund schedule
is listed on your housing
- You must check out no later than 24 hours after your
last final, unless you get permission from your RD. If you do not receive
permission, you will be asked to leave immediately.
- It is vital that your room has been thoroughly cleaned and all of your belongings
have been removed from the room before the RA comes to complete a checkout. Failure to clean your room
or to remove your belongs will delay your checkout and/or result in a fine.
You will only be allowed to check out if your room is clean, your belongings
are removed, you've signed your Room Inventory, and you've returned your
- A room is considered clean only when all of the following have been completed:
- All floors must be swept or vacuumed.
- Windowsills and all furniture must be cleaned (both outside
- All drawers must be empty and wiped clean.
- All non-university-provided items (pictures, tacks, sticky-tack,
etc.) must be removed from the walls and all stains must be cleaned. Do not attempt to fill holes in your wall.
- All beds must be un-bunked and the mattresses placed at their lowest
possible setting. A $10 charge will be assessed for beds that are
upside-down, not un-bunked, or not lowered.
- You are also responsible for the hallway outside your room. Don't
forget to vacuum the hall around your door and to clean dry-erase marks, etc., from the wall.
- Old carpet and furniture must be properly disposed of off
campus and is not the university's responsibility. A charge will
be issued to those responsible for improperly disposed-of trash.
- Dispose of all small trash in the dumpsters outside your hall. Do
not put it in the hallway; leaving trash and/or furniture in the
hallways is a fire hazard.
- Cardboard should be placed next to dumpsters. Do not put cardboard in the dumpsters.
- You must return your room key when you check out. If your key is not turned at checkout, a $50 charge will be
added to your student account for a replacement key and service
- Residents of Boppell Hall and Duvall Hall must also complete the following:
- The entire bathroom (showers, toilets, sinks, floors, walls,
etc.) must be clean
- Kitchen cupboards and sink must be cleaned out and washed.
- University-owned refrigerators must be defrosted and cleaned out.
- You must sign up with your RA at least 12 hours in advance for a checkout
time and plan on the process to take about 30 minutes. If you are more
than 10 minutes late to your checkout time, you may be issued a fine.
Do not go to the RA's room when it's time to do your checkout--wait in
your room and the RA will come to you. Do not count on an RA to be available
for any time other than the one you have prearranged. A improper-checkout
charge (typically $50) plus cleaning costs and the loss of your housing deposit
will be assessed if you leave without going through this process.
- If you plan to place items in storage, label them with the storage tags provided by your RD. Storage space
is extremely limited, so pack and plan early. All storage is at your
own risk; Whitworth University takes no responsibility for items left in
- If you believe a mistake has been made on your Room Inventory,
speak to your RA immediately. Understand that you may be charged for insufficient cleaning,
damaged or missing items in your room, as well as for damages found in common
areas of the residence hall. Keep a copy of the Room Inventory
for your files.
- If you are graduating or planning to live off campus next year, you may request
the refund of your housing deposit by filling out the necessary form
found at Student Accounts. Requests are not processed
until mid June.