The Whitworth Office of Community Engagement is charged with helping coordinate
and provide resources for existing activities in the Spokane area in which Whitworth faculty,
staff, and students are engaged. The mission
is to provide a clearing house for communicating,
both internally and externally, information regarding Whitworth's community-engagement activities. The office is also charged with
generating new ideas as well as with seeking additional funding for such
The Whitworth Office of Community Engagement aspires to be known
on ad off campus as an effective tool for promoting linkage
between Whitworth faculty and staff and the Spokane community.
Key Result Areas:
- Communications: Goal is to improve both internal and external communication of current activities and initiatives
by Whitworth faculty and staff in the Spokane
1) Set up website.
2) Communicate to President Robinson through Of Mind & Heart.
3) Communicate regularly with Dean Michael LeRoy.
4) Communicate regularly with Communications Director Greg Orwig.
- Provide resources for existing areas: Goal is to improve the ways
in which the School of Global Commerce, School of Education, Center
for Service Learning, and Weyerhaeuser Center for Christian
Faith and Learning are provided with resources and encouraged in their respective
efforts to achieve community engagement
1) Meet on a monthly basis for purpose of clarifying goals.
2) Pursue grant funding in specific areas related to community
- Development of New Partners: Goal is to seek new partners
in the community to work more collaboratively in pursuit of mutual
1) Establish Whitworth's existing partners.
2) Identify two to three new partners per year to pursue.
- Enhancing Connection to Academics: Goal is to develop
a stronger connection to academic departments and the office of
academic affairs in order to ensure quality
1) Promote the minor in community engagement.
2) Examine faculty reward system and develop a strategy for linking
faculty involvement with community with faculty rewards.
3) Look for ways to promote scholarship around community engagement.
- Leveraging Resources: Goal is to seek additional funding
through outsides source
1) Work with institutional advancement office to identify potential sources
2) Work with grants office to identify potential sources of funding.
- Development of a philosophy: Goal is to explore implications
of college-wide philosophy of community development and community
1) Use the advisory group to continue to explore the differences
between community development and community engagement.
- Lilly and Murdock Grants
Back to Community
Engagement Home Page >> About
the Center >>