Whitworth Home Page > Diversity & Intercultural Relations >
The Institutional Diversity Committee (IDC) serves as the primary advisory committee to the University Council on all matters related to diversity, equity, inclusion and intercultural relations at Whitworth. The committee's work is directed at enabling Whitworth to establish a sustainable course that will ensure the achievement of its current and future objectives related to our goals. The IDC is a representative body of faculty, staff and students that complements and supports strategic diversity-related initiatives throughout the campus community.
1. Monitor and assess the university’s progress in achieving strategic goals and objectives in areas of diversity, equity, inclusion and intercultural relations.
2. Provide recommendations for curricular and co-curricular development and assessment relative to diversity, equity, inclusion and intercultural relations.
3. Make recommendations for effective internal and external communication of university initiatives in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion and intercultural relations.
4. Monitor and assess the university’s sociocultural climate and provide data-informed recommendations for the campus community.
5. Encourage and support efforts to engage in research that addresses various aspects of diversity, equity, inclusion and intercultural relations in higher education, the church and the broader society.
6. Recommend development efforts to assure sustainability of diversity-related initiatives.
7. Foster understanding, appreciation, synergy and collaboration of diversity-related initiatives and programming across the University.
Role of Members
1. Advise the assistant vice president for diversity and intercultural relations to support achievement of Whitworth’s strategic objectives related to diversity, equity, inclusion and intercultural relations.
2. Provide focused and analytical attention on Whitworth’s progress in achieving strategic goals and objectives relating to diversity, equity, inclusion and intercultural relations.
3. Serve as conduits of communication and reporting that both inform the committee of the concerns of their respective campus organizations/departments and report to their respective organizations/ departments Whitworth’s progress and the challenges it faces in its efforts to achieve.
4. When needed and appropriate, represent the assistant vice president for diversity and intercultural relations at critical campus meetings when she/he is unable to attend.
5. Carefully read all materials sent in advance of committee meetings.
6. Make attendance at all committee meetings a priority.
The Institutional Diversity Committee is a representative body consisting of members who will serve by virtue of their position or by appointment. Thus, the composition of the committee will be as follows:
- Asst. Vice President for Diversity and Intercultural Relations (Chair) – Lawrence Burnley
- Chief of Staff, Office of the President – Rhosetta Rhodes
- Asst. Dean for Intercultural Student Affairs – Ahyana King
- Director of International Education Center – Sue Jackson
- Interim Director of Service Learning and Community Engagement – Brooke Watts
- Dean of Spiritual Life – Terry McGonigal
- Human Resources Representative – Elise Forman
- Academic Dean –Timothy Wilkinson
- Admissions and Financial Aid Representative – Marianne Hansen
- Facilities and Staff Representative – Suzanne Sherman
- Faculty Exec Representative – Corliss Slack
- Faculty Assembly Representative – Jason Wollschleger
- Athletic Department Representative – Jason Tobeck
- Cultural Diversity Advocate Representative/RA (student) – Hanna Kim
- Cultural Events Coordinator (student) – Ashton Skinner