Whitworth is committed to becoming a more sustainable campus by engaging in activities that meet contemporary needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
More than $1.7 million is budgeted this year in areas that have a direct impact on the environment: electricity, natural gas/oil, copying/printing, solid waste disposal and water/sewage. Fortunately, consumption (and expenses) in each of these areas can be reduced by even modest changes in behavior by faculty, staff and students.
Listed below are relatively simple things we can do to reduce consumption and expenses in each area. We invite you to send in your ideas. In each issue of Stewardship, we will report on the percentage of budget expended compared with the same period last year to see whether our efforts are having an impact. We also will publish your ideas for reducing consumption and expenses.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Unplug unused appliances.
Natural gas/oil: $575,000
- Dress warmly and keep thermostat at 68 degrees.
- Take care to keep doors and windows closed tight.
- Print only what you need.
- Print two-sided.
Solid waste disposal: $184,200
- Avoid products with excessive packaging.
- Shop at second-hand stores.
- Take short showers.
- Limit car-washing.