• What is the credit load for attending full time?

    Whitworth's full-time credit load for its adult degree programs is typically nine semester credits in both fall and spring, and just six credits during the summer. Each semester is divided into sessions (three for fall, three for spring, and two for summer) allowing students to concentrate on just one three-credit course at a time.

  • What would my schedule look like?

    Whitworth's evening degree programs are designed for those who work full time during the day. Most courses meet either one night per week and two Saturdays each month, or two nights per week and no Saturdays.

  • What is the age range of continuing studies students?

    The majority of our students are between 25 and 44 years of age, although our students range in age from 21 to 72.

  • What is the difference between quarter and semester credits?

    In an academic year at a school using the quarter system, there are typically four quarters (including summer), each lasting 11-12 weeks. In comparison, a school on a semester system has three semesters that last 15-18 weeks in length (including summer). Whitworth is on a semester-credit system.

    If your transfer courses were earned at a quarter-system college or university, Whitworth will convert them to semester credits for transfer. You lose no credits in that process. For a rough estimate, multiply your quarter credits by .67 to determine how many semester credits you may receive at Whitworth. Your advisor can assist you in determining how your credits will transfer.

  • What's different about a bachelor of liberal studies?

    It's just like other bachelor's degrees in that it signifies academic achievement: When you apply for a job, your BLS lets a prospective employer know that you've finished college and are ready to take the next step.

    It's different in that it's interdisciplinary in nature and doesn't focus on one discipline – as would, for example, a B.A. in organizational management, a business degree. A BLS builds on the tradition of a strong liberal arts education, providing a knowledge base and a skill set that encompass several disciplines.

  • I work full time during the day. Is there any way I can complete my bachelor's degree in the evening without going to school forever?

    Yes. Whitworth designed its adult degree programs specifically for working professionals. Our accelerated-format courses make it possible for you to complete a bachelor's degree in the evening, in about half the time it would take in a traditional semester- or quarter-credit format.

  • I don't know where to begin the process of returning to college. What's my first step?

    Call us at 509.777.3222. We can answer your questions or put you in contact with the right person to help you get started.

  • Is financial aid available for working adults?

    Yes. Adult students may qualify for federal aid, depending on their income and the degree program they are entering. Contact the Whitworth Financial Aid Office at 509.777.3215 for more information. Adult students should also check with their employers, who often have tuition-assistance or reimbursement programs for employees.

  • I work full time, and I have my A.A. degree from a community college in Spokane. How long will it take me to get my bachelor's degree?

    That depends on how many credits you want to complete in a year. Typically, students can complete 24-30 semester credits per year by taking a full schedule of accelerated courses (six-week evening courses). A student transferring to Whitworth with two years of coursework (an A.A. degree) from an approved community college can usually finish his or her bachelor's degree in two to three years.

  • Does Whitworth accept military credit?

    Yes. Depending upon what type of credit you've earned, Whitworth does recognize some military credit as college-level coursework. Contact the Whitworth School of Continuing Studies (509.777.3222) for more information.

  • Will Whitworth's evening bachelor's-degree programs transfer to a master's-degree program?

    Yes. You do not actually "transfer" to the graduate school; most master's-degree programs require a bachelor's degree, just as you would need a high-school diploma or GED for acceptance into a two- or four-year college. Graduate schools may require specific undergraduate courses in order for you to enter their programs. Check with the master's-degree program you are interested in to determine the undergraduate coursework required for admission.

  • I have my bachelor's degree but I want to become a public school teacher; can I do that?

    Yes. Whitworth offers two options:

    • If you work full time but still want to work toward your teaching certificate, consider our accelerated-format Evening Teacher Certification Program for elementary education teacher certification.
    • The second option is a master's degree in teaching (MIT). The MIT is a full-time 13-month program that allows you to earn your teaching credentials and a master's degree at the same time.
    • Call 509.777.3222 for information.


Whitworth's mission is to provide its diverse student body an education of mind and heart, equipping its graduates to honor God, follow Christ, and serve humanity.

Next Steps

Request Information

Or call 509.777.3222