Act Six Academy at Whitworth University
The Act Six Academy for Campus and Community Leadership is an intensive summer leadership training program modeled on the highly successful Act Six Leadership and Scholarship curriculum. Whitworth University, in partnership with the YMCA of the Inland Northwest and the Northwest Leadership Foundation, is offering the Academy program at no cost to 10 students in Spokane and 10 students in the Tacoma/Seattle area.
The academy is designed to prepare incoming college students to lead and succeed in college. In the summer leading up to enrolling at Whitworth, participants engage in intensive training with an experienced community educator, build lasting relationships with other incoming Whitworth students and develop their leadership skills to make a positive impact on campus and in the surrounding community.
Whitworth Act Six Academy benefits include:
- Intensive summer leadership training program and relationship building -- proven to help with college transition and success -- with other incoming Whitworth students.
- $1,500 freshman scholarship, with an additional $500/year as long as students meet the requirements of academy members
- Invitation to Whitworth's Pre-Orientation Program
- Priority hiring for part-time campus employment in the Whitworth admissions office
- Regular academy team meetings with a campus-based mentor
- Support from a dedicated community-based coach through your first year of college
- Opportunities to participate in and lead student organizations.
Incoming freshman students who are admitted to Whitworth for fall are encouraged to submit an Act Six Academy Application by April 7. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis students will be selected based on academic qualifications, leadership and service experience, ability to contribute to diversity, equity and inclusion at Whitworth and financial need. Students selected for the academy will have until May 1 to complete the Academy Participation Agreement (PDF) to hold their spots.
Whitworth Director of Admissions
Spokane Act Six Director, YMCA of the Inland Northwest
Tacoma-Seattle Act Six Director