Close Menu

RISE (Reinforcing the Importance of Support in Education)

Mission

The RISE program is committed to reinforcing the importance of support in education by building relationships through passionate service.

Key Principles

  • We believe all students have potential.
  • We believe rigorous education can empower students and help them achieve this potential.
  • We believe genuine relationship can motivate and direct each student's potential.
  • We believe all students have the potential to be agents of change in their communities.
  • We believe in collaborating with community partners to identify the needs of the institution.
  • We believe in building longterm partnerships between Whitworth University and its community partners.

Goals

  • to meet students where they are
  • to provide students with the academic and relational support necessary to graduate from high school
  • to challenge students to go beyond their expectations in the pursuit of higher education

2015-16 Program Impact

  • During the 2015-16 academic year, RISE's social return on investment totalled $20,475.83 in tutoring and mentoring services provided. A total of 91 volunteers served 511 students, amassing 718 service hours.
  • Key Community Partnerships: North Central High School, Glover Middle School, Holmes Elementary School, Northwood Middle School and Spokane Public Schools.
  • The annual data from our community partners shows that 71% marked "Strongly agree" when asked if they would like to continue partnership with RISE. The remaining 29% marked "Agree." Seventy-one percent marked "Would strongly recommend a partnership with RISE to other organizations." The remaining 29% marked "Agree." These figures indicate considerable positive feedback during RISE's first year of developing community partnerships and seem to forecast a sustainable future.

Become a mentor today! Find out how to get involved by contacting serve@whitworth.edu:

  • Holmes Elementary
  • Glover Middle School
  • Northwood Middle School
  • North Central High School
  • Junior Achievement

If you would like to become a mentor at any of these sites, please stop by the Dornsife Center for Community Engagement, located in Weyerhaeuser Hall 104, to fill out a background check form.

Danielle Burris
Program Manager
dburris17@my.whitworth.edu

Kate Howell
Program Manager
khowell18@my.whitworth.edu