Whitworth Home Page > Communication Studies Department >
Whitworth University will award journalism and mass communication talent awards to entering freshmen who have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.5 and who demonstrate potential to excel as student journalists during their time at Whitworth. Award recipients will be chosen based on the guidelines described below.
To apply for a talent award, please submit the following items for review:
- A résumé
- Three published samples of media work from your school newspaper, yearbook,
or other published sources
- A 300- to 400-word editorial written on any current issue or controversy discussed
in the news media
- A letter of up to one page describing your interest in journalism and mass communication
Please send your application postmarked by Feb. 15 to:
Alan Mikkelson, Department Chair
c/o Kathy Fechter
Spokane WA 99251
To be eligible for journalism and mass communication talent awards, applicants must do the following:
- Be admitted to Whitworth University.
- Be actively considering a communication major (general communication, journalism and mass communication or speech).
- Be enrolled and on staff with the university newspaper (The Whitworthian), the yearbook (Natsihi), or the radio station (Whitworth.FM) throughout their freshmen year.
Whitworth University will award some journalism talent awards to returning students who have a GPA of at least 3.0 in the communications major and who demonstrate potential to excel as student journalists during their time at Whitworth. Recipients are expected to be involved in some capacity with the university newspaper (The Whitworthian), the yearbook (the Natsihi), or the radio station (Whitworth.FM) throughout the following academic year.
To apply for a talent award, submit the following items for review:
- Three published samples, from The Whitworthian, Natsihi or other source. Students interested in broadcasting may submit Whitworth.FM tapes or other video or audio samples of their work
- A letter of no more than one-page describing your interest in journalism.
Please send hard copies of your application directly to Kathy Fechter by Feb. 15.
Talent awards are subject to the following guidelines:
- Students must meet eligibility requirements established by the Financial Aid Office, and must be full-time students in good academic standing.
- Students will receive the talent awards in two halves; half will be credited to their accounts in the fall and the other half to their accounts in the spring.
- Talent awards are given for one year only. There is no guarantee that a recipient will be selected in subsequent years. However, students will be considered for awards in future years as long as they remain active in campus media.
- Only communication majors are eligible for these awards.