Close Menu

Dual Enrollment Credit Policy

Dual enrollment credits are college credits that have been earned prior to graduation from high school, either on the campus of a college or community college or on a high school campus (in partnership with a sponsoring college or university). Running Start is an example of a dual enrollment program, though similar programs have different names in many states. High school students with dual enrollment credits are considered first-time freshmen as long as they attempt no university-level coursework after high school graduation. Students with dual enrollment credits must meet freshman application deadlines and Whitworth's freshman admissions requirements, and qualified students will be eligible to receive one of Whitworth's freshman academic scholarships. Dual enrollment and Running Start credits are accepted as transfer credits based on receipt of official academic transcripts from the community college attended or the college sponsoring the course. Courses in which a student has received a grade lower than "C", vocational/technical courses, non-college-level courses, and incomplete courses are not transferable. A maximum of 64 semester credits may be transferred from a two-year college; a total of 94 semester credits may be transferred from a four-year college or combination of two- and four-year colleges.

Students transferring with an approved associate of arts or science degree will receive:

  1. Junior standing (60-64 semester credits)
  2. A waiver of all general requirements, except:
    A choice of:
    • Core 150 Worldview Studies I: Christian Worldview Perspectives
      Core 250 Worldview Studies II: The Rationalist Worldview
      Core 350 Worldview Studies III: Applied Ethics, Public Policy and Worldviews
    • Biblical Literature – three semester credits in the Old Testament, New Testament, or one or more books of the Bible.
    • World Language – eight semester credits, 15 quarter credits or a full year of college credit in a world language, including American Sign Language, are required.