The University Recreation Center (U-Rec) offers experiences that enrich the lives of Whitworth University students through excellent facilities, fitness, sport, adventure and play. We are committed to developing leaders, encouraging life-long healthy lifestyles, and fostering meaningful relationships. We support this mission by focusing on the following guiding principles.
- Creating an inviting, friendly atmosphere that values, embraces, and enriches individual differences by providing programs, services, and staff who reflect the diversity of the institution.
- Providing programming that embodies the concept of "total body fitness" through a holistic approach to physical fitness.
- Being community builders by serving others, exhibiting loyalty, and supporting Whitworth University, student life, campus recreation, our co-workers and our patrons.
- Providing programs and opportunities that allow for student leadership development through hands-on experiences. Students are essential to U-Rec as owners, users and employees.
- Preparing students for the future by empowering them to become independent adults who engage with the people and the world around them.
- Providing an environment that honors God by living the Scripture (I Corinthians 6:19-20):
19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. 20 You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
- Serving as an internship site for upper-division students majoring in kinesiology, health sciences, and athletic training.
- Offering a facility which is used by instructors to fulfill various fitness components of the kinesiology department's curriculum.