Formed in Faith Project
Exploring and Experiencing God Alongside Children, Families and Congregations
We believe that young children have as much to teach us about God as we do them, that faith is not primarily an intellectual endeavor, and that the daily rhythms of our lives provide the best opportunities to disciple our children as followers of Jesus.
But how exactly can families integrate discipleship into mealtimes, bath times and playtime? How can parents and caregivers overcome the fear of 'messing up' their kid's faith life? How can churches become partners in raising faithful kids? These are the questions that animate the work of the Formed in Faith Project and questions we want to help you answer.
This project is for parents (or anyone who is a primary caregiver) of young children and children's ministry leaders who are interested in exploring what it looks like to nurture a family culture infused with rhythms of faith from birth, how to pray with your toddler or how to engage with God alongside your child. If you feel ill-equipped, under-resourced, or just want to do this hard work in community with other caregivers and ministry leaders, then join us.
Oct. 21 | Nurturing a Faith Your Child Doesn't Have to Heal From with Meredith Miller
You are invited to this parenting workshop designed for parents, grandparents and ministry leaders (or anyone with an active role in shaping the faith of little ones). Meredith Miller is a pastor, parent and writer with over 20 years of experience in children's ministry and curriculum. You may also know her from Instagram @meredithannemiller or her recently published book, Woven. Child care will be provided, and an optional lunch will be served following the event. We're giving away a free book for the first 30 registrants (one per family).
- Cost: $15 per family
- Location: Whitworth Church, 312 W. Hawthorne Road, Spokane, WA 99218
- Time: 10 a.m.-noon; coffee and child care check-in begins at 9:30 a.m.; lunch served noon-1 p.m.
If you are a parent or caregiver, we invite you to join in this community to explore what intentional faith formation might look like in your home and family. Most program activities will be directed at primary caregivers, but many events and resources will also be open for grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Fill out the interest form below to get connected to the program.
You are invited to join Formed in Faith through:
- Events - Scroll on for more detailed information about upcoming events. We plan to offer online and in-person events, and are excited to be hosting Meredith Anne Miller at Whitworth Church on Oct. 21!
- Parent Small Group - These small groups will serve as the testing grounds for new models of faith formation for parents and children. Beginning in the fall, small groups will gather monthly as intentional communities experimenting and exploring alongside our kids. We are seeking families with children ages 0-5 in the Spokane area. Childcare and meals will be provided at each gathering. Interested families can fill out the interest form here >>>
- Online Resource Hub & Community - This online hub will be launched in 2024 and serve as a hub for child faith formation resources. It will also attempt to cultivate an online community of parents and caregivers sharing ideas and resources.
For Churches & Ministry Leaders
The Formed in Faith Project is designed to help ministry leaders connect with the families in their congregations, explore and experiment with new models of faith formation for parents and children, and build networks of support with churches and leaders around Spokane. Fill out the interest form below to get connected to the program.
You can partner with the Whitworth Office of Church Engagement to reimagine the paradigm of childhood faith formation through:
- A Local Learning Cohort - Churches will be asked to apply to be part of the cohort, which will begin gathering in the fall of 2024. Cohort members will have access to resources such as expert consultants and micro grants.
- Events - Scroll on for more detailed information about upcoming events. We plan to offer online and in-person events, and are excited to be hosting Meredith Anne Miller at Whitworth Church on Oct. 21. A small gathering of ministry leaders will also be held on Oct. 20. Registration for both will be available soon.
- Children's Ministry Network Gatherings - This network of children's ministry leaders will gather for support, shared learning and worship. The gatherings will be held in person and are open to any church leaders in the area. Fill out the interest form to be notified of these gatherings.
- Micro Grants - The OCE will take applications for small grants related to child and family faith formation. More information about this funding opportunity will be forthcoming.
Over the next several months, the OCE is also hosting a series of listening sessions with churches and families. If you would like to organize a listening session for your congregation, please reach out to Program Director Lauren Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org.