Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Whitworth's Commitment to Diversity
As a leading Christian institution of higher learning, Whitworth University seeks to educate and prepare students to "honor God, follow Christ, and serve humanity." In accord with this core mission, we seek to model Christ's love across racial, ethnic, gender, socio-economic, religious and other expressions of human difference.
Whitworth recognizes that a diverse community is central to our mission as a liberal arts university committed to educating critical thinkers, discerning moral agents, and responsible democratic citizens. Engaging people with differing experiences and perspectives serves to sharpen the mind, deepen the heart, and quicken the soul.
Therefore, given the critical role diversity plays in the life of the university, Whitworth is committed to delivering a mission-driven educational program that cultivates in students, faculty, staff, and trustees the capacity to work effectively across the myriad dimensions of the global family. Our goal is to achieve and sustain a level of inclusive excellence throughout the life of the university that emphasizes the deep truth, love and grace of the Gospel.
Whitworth University is focused in its resolve to create and nurture environments for learning, working, and living throughout the campus community where people of diverse backgrounds can effectively and constructively engage each other as we educate the next generation of leaders.
Whitworth’s Diversity Cabinet
The Whitworth Diversity Cabinet represents the campus community related to matters of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging and is chaired by the chief diversity officer. The Diversity Cabinet exist to provide the leadership necessary to build institutional capacity, and resources in order to implement, support and sustain the work of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEI & B) across the campus. The goal is to embrace the gift of diversity by achieving equity and modeling inclusion which fosters cohesion and synergy of diversity-related efforts across the life of the institution. Within the areas they represent and other spheres of influence, members of the Whitworth Diversity Cabinet will fulfill the following roles on campus:
- Serve as a resource for the Whitworth community on matters relating to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging;
- Assist administrative units in development and implementation of Diversity Action Plans and Diversity Audits;
- Support, resource, and assist faculty, staff and students in their efforts to develop, implement, and assess sustainable diversity-related strategies;
- Monitor university policies, regulations and operating procedures to ensure procedural justice, as well as inclusive, equitable treatment of all staff, faculty, students and campus guests;
- Encourage and support programs and activities aimed at raising awareness of DEI & B;
- Identify barriers and provide support for developing strategies to attract, recruit, retain, advance, and promote a diverse student body, faculty, and staff;
- Develop and recommend strategies to encourage interaction among the university’s diverse populations;
- Enrich the educational experience that will prepare members of the campus community to live and work in an increasingly diverse workplace and competitive global community.
Whitworth University's Diversity Action Plan
Whitworth University's Diversity Action Plan includes three major goals:
- Develop, implement and assess strategies to provide professional development and training in intercultural competency and inclusive excellence for faculty and staff to promote a safe, affirming and welcoming campus climate.
- Develop, implement and assess strategies for effective recruitment and retention of students, faculty and staff from underrepresented racial/ethnic populations (UREP) and historically marginalized and/or underserved groups.
- Develop, implement and assess curricular and co-curricular strategies to advance student learning outcomes in the area of intercultural competency development.
Whitworth University's Diversity Action Plan is overseen by the Diversity Cabinet.