Yellow Ribbon Program at Whitworth
Whitworth University is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program under the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® (authorized under Title V of the Public Law 110-252). This program is for 100-percent eligible Post-9/11 GI Bill ® students. In agreement with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Whitworth and VA will each pay 50 percent of the remaining balance* above the maximum tuition and fee reimbursement per academic year to allow eligible students to attend Whitworth with their tuition and fees paid** for the length of their entitled months of educational benefit.
Yellow Ribbon Policies
Whitworth is now offering unlimited slots to those who qualify. For the easiest application process, please have your Post-9/11 Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in hand when you speak to the VA certifying official. More information on the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® can be found at the Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon Program website.
- Admission into the Yellow Ribbon Program is contingent upon verification that the applicant is 100-percent eligible under the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® and has received such documentation. Whitworth currently offers unlimited slots for undergraduate participants and graduate participants. Applicants must be admitted to Whitworth University prior to applying to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- The applying student must not be on active duty; nor may s/he be a spouse using transferred entitlement.
- The applicant MUST attach a copy of his/her certificate of eligibility as received from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs stating that s/he is 100-percent eligible to receive VA benefits under the provision of Chapter 33, Title 38.
- Per Whitworth's agreement with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, each academic program offers a limited number of slots for students in the Yellow Ribbon Program. If that limit has been met, the applicant will not be able to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program at Whitworth University for the current academic year. S/he need not reapply for the next academic year, since s/he will be eligible as long as s/he has benefits remaining with VA.
- The admitted student may participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program at Whitworth University only for the duration of the entitlement, as specified on his/her certificate of eligibility. Once his/her eligibility has expired, the student will no longer receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program at Whitworth University.
- Any charges the student accrues that are not covered by the Yellow Ribbon Program will be the student's responsibility. Students are also responsible for verifying charges covered by the Yellow Ribbon Program before they incur those charges.
Note: When tuition costs are fully covered through the Yellow Ribbon Program, no other institutional scholarships or grants that are specified to cover tuition costs (such as Whitworth's academic scholarships or grants) will be awarded.
If you meet the policy requirements, apply to Whitworth's Yellow Ribbon Program.
Questions regarding necessary forms and how to complete these forms can be directed to the Whitworth VA certifying official at 509.777.3508.
You may also call VA directly at 888.442.4551 to check on your VA benefits application.
*Whitworth limits the maximum contribution paid to the student per year. While this maximum is rarely reached, the amount is included in the agreement. Please ask your VA official for more information.
**Per VA rules, fees are mandatory charges (other than tuition, room and board) applied by the school for pursuit of an approved program of education. Fees include, but are not limited to, health premiums, freshman fees, graduation fees and lab fees. Fees do not include study-abroad course(s) unless a course is a requirement for completion of the student's approved program of education.
***Yellow Ribbon funds that are provided by Whitworth are tied to tuition costs. If tuition costs are refunded or reduced, the Yellow Ribbon award from Whitworth will be reduced by the same percentage.