Close Menu

Personal Property Insurance & Damages

Whitworth University is unable to insure the personal property of students and will not reimburse students for losses associated with their personal property. We simply cannot define in advance the limits on the value of student property. If items are stolen from a student's room, student storage or vehicles, or if items are damaged because of a ruptured water pipe, vandalism, etc., the university will not pay to replace those items.

Personal property insurance may be purchased for residence-hall-room contents through numerous insurance companies. We also encourage students and parents to check their homeowners' insurance policies, as many include coverage for on-campus belongings when students are away at school. If you have questions regarding this option, please contact the student life program assistant at 509.777.4532.

The university shall have no legal obligation to pay for the loss of or damage to student's personal property occurring in university buildings or on university property prior to, during or subsequent to the period of the agreement. Students and parents are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover such losses. Students are responsible for the rented premises assigned and shall reimburse the university for all damages within or to the rented premises. Charges for damages and/or necessary cleaning will be assessed to the student, or students, by the university and must be paid promptly. Failure to pay assessments will result in a hold on a student's registration, graduation and/or transcript.