Step-by-Step Admissions Process
To get started, follow the application guidelines below. You may also go directly to the online application; instructions are included in each area. Once you have returned all application documents, the Admissions Committee will review your application file and notify you, in writing, of your status. If you have any questions about this process, please contact us at 509.777.3222.
Come Meet Us
We strongly encourage all applicants to visit Whitworth University to learn more about our adult education programs and to meet with an advisor from the Whitworth School of Continuing Studies prior to admittance. To arrange a visit, please call 509.777.3222.
REQUEST INFO APPLY NOW
How to Apply
Step 1: Apply Online
Create an account to complete your online application. As you complete your application, you will be prompted to submit your $25 application fee and recommendation requests.
The online application includes the following:
- Three reference forms - sent directly to each reference via an online recommendation request. You should request recommendations from individuals who have a strong knowledge of your professional work and/or your ability to succeed as an adult student.
- If you have attended college within the past two years, one should be from a professor in your major. If it has been more than two years since you have attended another institution, you may substitute a professional recommendation.
- One recommendation should be from a current or former supervisor or co-worker.
- One recommendation should be from an individual who can speak to your general character and the probability of your success as an adult student. It should not be from a family member.
- Résumé - required only for teacher certification programs.
- Personal essay - 500-700 words explaining how the program for which you are applying fits with your career and educational goals, why you have chosen Whitworth as the venue in which to further your education, and why now is the right time for you to enroll in an adult education program. You may attach this document to your online application or email it directly to the School of Continuing Studies Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Submit Official (Unopened) Transcripts
Though we review each student's GPA for the probability of academic success, we understand that undergraduate GPAs, particularly those from several years ago, may not reflect your current ability or commitment to academic success.
Order official transcripts from ALL colleges or universities previously attended, and have them sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail directly to this address:
School of Continuing Studies
300 W. Hawthorne Road
Spokane, WA 99251
Step 3: On-Site Write
Your academic advisor may ask you to complete an on-site write to demonstrate writing proficiency. If you have any questions, give us a call at 509.777.3222.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid
If you intend to apply for financial aid, complete a FAFSA as soon as possible. Apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov (Whitworth Title IV Code: 003804).
Applicants Under the Age of 23
Due to the expectation that students contribute knowledge gained in the work environment to the collaborative learning in class, applicants to the School of Continuing Studies under the age of 23 must also meet the following criteria:
- must have family or work responsibilities that would prevent her/him from attending a traditional, day university program;
- must have a two-year transfer degree, or substantial previous college experience, preferably with a 2.75 or higher GPA; and
- must have three years of full time employment history, documented by submission of a résumé.
Program-Specific Admission Requirements
Students planning to enter the organizational management, A.A.S. degree transfer, or evening teacher certification programs must meet specific admissions requirements. See program page for details.
Because Whitworth's adult education programs are offered part-time in the evening, international students are ineligible to apply. Please explore Whitworth's full-time day programs to help meet your academic interests and career goals.