Whitworth Home Page > Off-Campus Programs >
Health & Safety
Policy on Travel to Countries with a U.S. State Department
The safety of our students, faculty and staff is paramount to Whitworth. The university will not permit a faculty-led study program to visit a country that is under a travel warning imposed by the U.S. Department of State (DoS). A DoS travel alert in a country to be visited will not necessarily cause cancellation of a program, but it will initiate a careful review to determine whether the program requires modification or cancellation.
Top 10 Travel Tips for Students
- Make sure you have signed, valid passport & visas. Fill in
emergency information on passport. Make copies of all information,
keep at least
one copy elsewhere (i.e. hotel safe).
- Read the consular information sheets and public announcements for the countries you plan to visit.
- Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with
family or friends at home, so that you can be contacted in case of
an emergency. Keep your host program informed of your whereabouts.
- Read Whitworth's international insurance policy brochure, which will be provided to student participants before an international trip and which is available in the Whitworth Off-Campus Programs Office.
- Familiarize yourself with local laws and customs of the countries
to which you are traveling. Remember, while you are in a foreign
country, you are subject to its laws!
- Do not leave your luggage unattended in public areas and never
accept packages from strangers.
- While abroad, avoid using illicit drugs or drinking excessive
amounts of alcoholic beverages, and associating with people who do.
- Do not become a target for thieves by wearing conspicuous clothing
and expensive jewelry, and do not carry excessive amounts of cash
or unnecessary credit cards.
- Deal only with authorized agents when you exchange money to avoid
violating local laws.
- When overseas, avoid demonstrations and other situations that
may become unruly or where anti-American sentiments may be expressed.
Travelers' Internet Resources
Foreign Customs Internet Resources
Health Related Internet Resources