Center for Service-Learning & Community Engagement
Admitted Students | Current Students | Parents | Faculty & Staff | Alumni | Churches | Donors & Friends
Font size:
Medium Text Large Text

Print this page:Print this page

Whitworth Home Page > Center for Service-Learning & Community Engagement >

RISE (Reinforcing the Importance of Support in Education)

RISE

Mission: The RISE program is committed to Reinforcing the Importance of Support in Education by building relationships through passionate service.

Key Principles:

  • We believe all students have potential.
  • We believe rigorous education can empower and achieve this potential.
  • We believe genuine relationship can motivate and direct this potential.
  • We believe all students have the potential to be agents of change in their communities.
  • We believe in collaborating with community partners to identify the needs of the institution.
  • We believe in building long term partnerships between Whitworth University and the community partners

Goals:

  • To meet students where they are at.
  • To provide students with academic and relational support necessary to graduate high school.
  • To challenge students to go beyond their expectations in the pursuit of higher education

2012-2013 Program Impact:

  • During the 2012-2013 academic school year, the social return on investment totaled $11,698.38 in tutoring and mentoring services provided through the RISE program.
  • Key Community Partnerships: Rogers High School, North Central High School, The Community School, Glover Middle School, Holmes Elementary School, Audubon Elementary School, Spokane County Juvenile Court Systems, Nothwood Middle School, Goodwill Industries, Spokane Public Schools and Gonzaga University.
  • The annual data from our Community Partners shows that 71% would strongly agree they would like to continue partnership with the RISE Program, the remaining 29% agreed as well. They also responded that 71% would strongly agree in recommending a partnership with the RISE Program to other organizations, the remaining 29% agreed as well. This data shows considerably positive feedback during the first year of developing community partnerships in addition to a sustainable future.

Become a mentor today! Find out how to get involved by contacting serve@whitworth.edu:

  • Northwood Middle School: Tutoring opportunities
  • Glover Middle School: Academic support, after-school tutoring, and coaching opportunities
  • North Central High School: After-school tutoring opportunities
  • Rogers High School: After-school tutoring, ELL, and coaching opportunities
  • Community School: Classroom tutoring opportunities
  • Audobon Elementary School: In-school tutoring opportunities
  • Holmes Elementary School: Lunch hour mentoring
  • Spokane County Juvenile Court: Tutoring and mentoring opportunities (must be 21 or older to volunteer)

If you would like to become a mentor at any of these sites, please stop by the Center for Service-Learning & Community Engagement, located in Weyerhaeuser Hall 104, to fill out a background check form.

Student Leaders:

Zanovia Clark
Zanovia Clark
RISE Program Manager
zclark14@my.whitworth.edu
   
Jasmine Barnes
Jasmine Barnes
North Central
jbarnes15@my.whitworth.edu
   
Sarah Kenney
Sarah Kenney
Holmes
skenney14@my.whitworth.edu
   
Jeanette Potter
Jeanette Potter
Audubon
fpotter16@my.whitworth.edu
   
Claire Hannan
Claire Hannan
Northwood M.S.
channan16@my.whitworth.edu
   
Thomas Glasser
Thomas Glasser
Rogers
tglasser15@my.whitworth.edu
   
Ivory Wheeler
Ivory Wheeler
Spokane County Juvenile Court
iwheeler15@my.whitworth.edu
   
Jessica Nguyen
Jessica Nguyen
Community School
jessicanguyen16@my.whitworth.edu
   
Kortney Whaley
Kortney Whaley
Glover
kwhaley16@my.whitworth.edu

 

Contact the Center for Service-Learning & Community Engagement


E-mail:
serve@whitworth.edu

Phone:
509.777.4685

Hours:
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Location:
Weyerhaeuser Hall Room #104


Find Us on Facebook

Click Here to Serve or Submit a Need
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+ Instagram Directions | Campus Map | Employment | Pod | RSS | Contact Us | Site Map Pirate Port
Copyright © Whitworth University. All Rights Reserved. | 300 W. Hawthorne Road, Spokane, WA 99251 | Campus Phone: 509.777.1000