Whitworth's Summer Program for Gifted Middle School Students
A one-week, nonresidential program for students entering grades 6-9. What am I passionate about? What would I like to learn more about? What are my specific gifts and talents? At Camp Opportunity, gifted youth explore answers to these questions by investigating academic interest areas. Campers choose their own path and select three classes for the week.
When: July 19-23, 2021 | Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Where: Whitworth University, 300 W. Hawthorne Road, Spokane
Cost: $350 per participant. There is a $25 discount per child when you register more than one child for camp.
Lunch is not included in the registration fee. Campers should bring a nut-free lunch and a snack to camp each day.
Each camper will select one topic "pod" for the full week. In addition to learning activities corresponding to the theme of the pod, campers will be spending some time outdoors every day. Pods will not intermingle.
- Pod 1: Artistic Adventures
Come get creative! Explore a variety of art forms, and get your creative juices flowing. There will be lots of hands-on fun to be had in Artistic Adventures.
- Pod 2: Get Outside
Do you like a challenge? Have fun in small group games and activities while enjoying the outdoors. Rock climb on Whitworth's Rock Wall, learn survival techniques and play a variety of sports.
Get Outside is currently at capacity. Please email email@example.com to be waitlisted for this pod.
- Pod 3: Super STEM
A mix of indoor and outdoor activities, focused on science, technology, engineering, and making cool stuff! Play games, explore new ideas and create!Super STEM is currently at capacity. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be waitlisted for this pod.
In order to keep our campers and community safe, we will be sanitizing our classrooms and equipment daily. Antibacterial hand-sanitizer will be available and handwashing will be encouraged throughout the day. To the extent possible, each camper will be provided their own supplies for projects to minimize sharing.
Campers must adhere to the following:
- Wear a mask at all times except during lunch and snacks.
- Leave all non-essential items at home.
- Sharing of supplies and food will be prohibited.
- Maintain social distance from other campers.
- Complete a health check in using Whitworth’s LiveSafe app each day. Campers will need to show evidence that step has been completed each morning upon arrival. Instructions to access the LiveSafe app will be provided to camp parents after registration.
- If a camper has COVID symptoms and/or the LiveSafe app advises a camper not to come to campus, they will not be able to return to camp until 72 hours after the symptoms subsides. Parents/guardians of campers should notify the camp director immediately to allow camp staff to take necessary precautions.