In this minor, you will gain linguistic proficiency in the Chinese language and explore Chinese culture and history. Learning Chinese opens the door to a number of careers, as Chinese is the most spoken language in the world and China boasts one of the world's largest economies and a rich, diverse cultural heritage. The Whitworth Chinese minor will connect you with study-abroad opportunities, advanced coursework and a fun, close-knit community of students.
Why minor in Chinese at Whitworth?
- Take your language learning abroad and participate in faculty-led programs in Beijing, Shanghai and other cities across China. Studying abroad will help you grow your language proficiency and gain self-confidence.
- Learn from instructors who are native speakers and who offer personal insight on Chinese culture.
- Develop language acquisition skills that boost your studies in other areas. Students who study another language often find that their English improves as well and are better prepared to learn specialized terminology.
- Have fun with language. Chinese conversation courses take place in small groups, and you'll practice your skills with games, songs, cooking, skits and dancing.
- Join a thriving community of other Chinese and Asian studies students.
- Develop intercultural competency. Studying language opens the door to explorations of history, politics and culture.
- Become who you're meant to be.
Our Chinese grads make a difference (and get jobs)
Studying Chinese augments any course of study, and a working knowledge of Chinese culture and language is extremely valuable across fields. Our grads have gone on to successful careers in industries like technology, business, education, ministry and public policy.
Recent job placements include: