English Language Learner Minor & Endorsement
With an English language learner endorsement from Whitworth, you'll be prepared to help linguistically and culturally diverse students succeed in the classroom. Students in this program complete field placements in linguistically diverse classrooms, participate in expert instruction and gain skills that enrich their education across the board.
Why pursue the English language learner endorsement at Whitworth?
- Put your learning into practice with field placements and other opportunities to visit linguistically diverse classrooms.
- Develop intercultural competency. ELL students work with students of diverse cultural backgrounds, including refugee and immigrant students, and even visit international classrooms.
- Connect your faith or worldview with your learning. Courses in the ELL program emphasize diversity as a foundational Christian value. Teachers are also encouraged to explore the richness and diversity of their students' faiths in the classroom.
- Benefit from one-on-one advising with the director of the ELL program.
- Work alongside your professors. Students are often invited by adjunct professors from the ELL field to work with them in their classrooms.
- Become who you're meant to be.
Our ELL grads make a difference (and get jobs)
The English language learner program prepares graduates with the essential skills to meet the needs of increasingly diverse public-school systems across the country. You'll be prepared to teach in core classrooms with linguistically diverse students, newcomer settings with refugee students or in ELL-only classrooms.
Recent job placements include: