Reading Instruction Endorsement & Minor
The reading instruction endorsement from Whitworth equips primary and secondary education teachers to recognize reading problems, provide targeted intervention and teach reading as a set of skills. Instruction in this program will give you the skills to pinpoint the nature of reading problems, develop flexible tools and strategies for supporting student growth in literacy, and ultimately help students succeed.
Why pursue the reading instruction endorsement at Whitworth?
- Benefit from hands-on experience. You'll serve as a student teacher and complete a literacy field experience in a classroom.
- Learn from professionals in the field. Several electives in the reading instruction program are taught by practicing teachers and incorporate current, real-world models into instruction.
- Network with other reading instruction professionals though workshops, conferences and literacy fieldwork.
- Develop a strong community. The program is cohort-based, so you'll develop close relationships with your cohort members.
- Integrate your faith and learning as you learn to embrace, celebrate and develop each child's God-given strengths. You'll be challenged to consider how your faith or worldview informs your view on learning and physical disabilities, as well as the nature of human potential.
- Become who you're meant to be.