Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to take certain subjects/courses in high school?

We do not have requirements for a specific set of courses to take, but we do recommend a rigorous college-preparatory schedule. Such a schedule usually includes four years of English, three years of mathematics, three years of science, two years of social studies, two years of history and two years of foreign language.

What's your policy regarding Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Exam (DSST), and International Baccalaureate (IB) coursework?

We accept some credits received through AP, CLEP, DSST and IB classes. For more information, check out our Test for Credit page.

Which standardized tests do you accept?

Whitworth is a test-optional university! 

Students with five or more classes from an accredited high school or college (e.g., Running Start) have the option of whether to submit test scores with their application. Students who have only attended non-accredited homeschool programs or who received competency-based grades with no cumulative GPA are required to submit test scores.

If you choose to submit test scores, we accept scores from the SAT, ACT and/or the CLT test; there is no preference given to one test over the other. We also superscore test results, combining the highest scores from each subsection of the test, possibly from multiple test dates. 

  • SAT: We consider the Math and Evidence-Based Reading and Writing sections; we do not require the optional essay (1600-point scale).
  • ACT: We consider the composite score; we do not require the writing portion (36-point scale).
  • We do not accept SAT II Subject tests.

Is there a minimum GPA and SAT/SAT/CLT test score required to apply to Whitworth?

No – we review all completed applications.

What is the criteria for being admitted with honors to Whitworth?

First-year students whose applications reflect a 3.75 or higher weighted GPA will be considered for admission with honors. We will conduct a holistic review of the information presented in the application, including but not limited to:

  • Rigor of junior and senior year schedules
  • Quality of writing in the admissons application
  • Honors/AP/IB coursework, as well as any courses taken at the college level (in the high school or collegiate setting)
  • Standardized test superscores, including SAT, ACT and CLT. Opting to not submit test scores as part of your application will not negatively affect consideration for honors admission.
  • Honors and achievements awarded by the high school and greater community
  • Class rank
  • Academic club membership, especially those actively participating in Phi Theta Kappa at a community college

Note: Students who feel that their eligibility for honors admission is not fully captured in the criteria above may submit a personal statement, résumé or additional infomation.

If I take the SAT, ACT or CLT more than once, which scores will you review?

We superscore your results, combining your highest scores from each subsection of the test, possibly from multiple test dates, to give you the highest possible overall score. Superscoring is the college practice of looking at the highest scores a student has earned on each section of a test, even if the tests were taken on different dates, and combining them into a composite score. Because the two versions of the SAT will differ significantly, the College Board (which administers the SAT) advises against superscoring across the two types of SAT. If you took the old SAT multiple times we will superscore your scores from the old exam, and if you take the new SAT multiple times we will superscore your scores from the new exam, but we will not combine your superscores from the two versions.

If I'm taking community college classes while I'm in high school, do I apply to Whitworth as a first-year or transfer college student?

If you take college classes before you receive your high school diploma, you will apply as a first-year student. At the time of acceptance we will determine your eligibility for first-year academic scholarships. If you complete a full quarter or more of college classes after you receive your high school diploma (beyond the summer session), you will apply as a transfer student.

Where can I find a printable application?

The Whitworth Application and the Common App are only available online.

I've already been accepted, and I want to enroll at Whitworth. What do I need to do?

Congratulations – we're so glad you're coming to Whitworth! A $350 ($1,000 for international students) enrollment deposit reserves your place in the incoming class.

  • Since the deposit is fully refundable until May 1, if you are considering Whitworth we welcome you to pay your deposit at any time after you have been accepted. Housing placement and registration for classes are processed in the order of the time we receive your deposit.
  • You may submit your deposit online at This online form allows you to pay your deposit via a secure website by credit card or electronic check. You will need your student I.D. number, which is located in your acceptance packet. If you do not remember your student I.D. number, please call the admissions office at 509.777.4786. 

Are there scholarships available to incoming first-year students?

Whitworth offers generous scholarships based on a student's academic achievement and personal background. These University Scholarships are $12,000 to $27,000 per year and are renewable for up to four years. No application is required for the University Scholarship. To learn more about additional grants, scholarships, work-study and other financial aid resources at Whitworth, visit

Are resources available for students who need additional educational support?

The Whitworth Office of Educational Support Services (ESS) works with individual students to determine the level of support needed. Our goal is to serve all students and assist each in becoming an integral part of the campus community. If you have questions regarding requests for services, please contact the ESS coordinator, Katie McCray, at 509.777.3380 or