The BELIEF Conference
Because Every Life is Empowering the Future
BELIEF brings high school students from local neighborhoods once a year to Whitworth for a college-preparation program. Throughout the event, students experience a holistic view of what higher education entails. They are paired with a current college-student mentor who accompanies them to all activities, answers questions and acts as a support and friend.
During the conference, students take part in a series of workshops focused on leadership, goal-setting and financial aid. They participate in focus groups to better understand what they are learning, take part in recreational and team-building activities, and spend time experiencing campus life from the student perspective.
At the end of the conference, legal guardians are invited to join their student for a closing ceremony and hear a brief review of the conference.
Learn more about the history of the BELIEF Conference
The 2019 BELIEF Conference is Feb. 22-23
2019 Conference Schedule
|Friday, Feb. 22|
|9 a.m.||Students load busses|
|9:30 a.m.||Students arrive||Graves|
|9:45 a.m.||Welcoming Ceremonies||Graves|
|10:40 a.m.||Mock Lecture||Erik Johnston 233|
|11:40-11:45 a.m.||Transition to Lunch|
|11:45- 12:45 p.m.||Lunch||Dining Hall|
|12:50 p.m.||Resumè Development||Library all Comp Labs & Classroom|
|2:15 p.m.||Group 1: Genuine Student Panel||G1: Rob 210|
|Group 2: Lecture activity||G2: Rob 310|
|Group 3: Motivational Interviewing||G3: Rob 141|
|3:05 p.m.||Group 1: Motivational Interviewing||G1: Rob 141|
|Group 2: Student Panel||G2: Rob 210|
|Group 3: Lecture activity||G3: Rob 310|
|3:55 p.m.||Group 1: Lecture activity||G1: Rob 310|
|Group 2: Motivational Interviewing||G2: Rob 141|
|Group 3: Student Panel||G3: Rob 210|
|4:45 p.m.||Large Group Activity||Graves|
|5:30 p.m.||Dinner||Dining Hall|
|6:45 p.m.||Large Group Activity||RTT|
|8 p.m.||Released for Evening|
|Saturday, Feb. 23|
|8 a.m.||Breakfast with Mentor||Dining Hall|
|9-9:45 a.m.||Group 1: Act 6 Panel||G1: Rob 141|
|Group 2: Mentor/Mentee Hangout||G2: Rob 310|
|Group 3: Identity||G3: Rob 210|
|9:50-10:35 a.m.||Group 1: Identity||G1: Rob 210|
|Group 2: Act 6 Panel||G2: Rob 141|
|Group 3: Mentor/Mentee Hangout||G3: Rob 310|
|10:40-11:25 a.m.||Group 1: Mentor/Mentee Hangout||G1: Rob 310|
|Group 2: Identity||G2: Rob 210|
|Group 3: Act 6 Panel||G3: Rob 141|
|11:30-12:15 p.m.||Lunch||Dining Hall|
|12:15-12:45 p.m.||Large-Group Games||Graves|
|12:45-1 p.m.||Pack Up Stuff and Ready for Photo|
|1 p.m.||Group Photo||Library Steps or RTT|
|1:15 p.m.||I Believe Statements & Closing Surveys||RTT|
|1:30-2:30 p.m.||T-2-4 Fair||MPR|
|2:15 p.m.||Parents arrive at HUB||MPR|
|2:30 p.m.||Closing Ceremonies||HUB MPR|
Because every life is empowering the future, BELIEF will guide students to develop in themselves the motivation, skills and connections to attain an education beyond high school.
- We commit to cultivating excitement and enthusiasm about higher education.
- We commit to believing in students by encouraging and expecting them to succeed.
- We commit to instilling in students the belief that they can attain more than they ever thought possible.
- Students will develop a holistic view of what higher education entails and why it is important.
- Students will develop an understanding of how to be successful in higher education.
- Students will develop meaningful relationships with college students and staff.
- Students and legal guardians will better understand the financial investment of education beyond high school.
- Students and legal guardians will receive resources around accessing and applying for various forms of financial aid.
- Students will develop a personal education plan, connecting interests with tangible higher-education options.
- Students will develop a college-ready portfolio.
- Students will develop leadership skills through individual activities and team exercises.
- Students will learn how to build systems of support in reaching their educational goals.
To learn more about BELIEF and how you or your student can attend the conference, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.