Close Menu

Concerned About Someone Else?

Are you concerned about a friend's behavior or emotional state? As a friend of someone who is distressed, you may be in the best position to assist him or her in getting needed help and support. You may help schedule an appointment with a counselor by walking with your friend to the counseling center during business hours or by calling the counseling center with him or her. You may also attend a counseling session as a support person upon your friend's request.

If you are unsure how to best help a hurting friend, you can contact the counseling center and ask for a consultation appointment with a counselor, which can take place by phone or in person. We can coach you in how to help. You can also submit an online form for reporting student incidents and concerns; this will notify student life staff of your concern. It is important to share your concerns regarding a fellow Pirate so that we can seek to provide appropriate and caring assistance.

In addition, being a support person can cause personal distress and may affect the supporter's own mental and emotional health. If you are experiencing difficulty as a result of your concern for a friend, we encourage you to schedule a counseling appointment for yourself.