Close Menu

Transfer Policies for Students Holding Associate of Applied Science Degrees

Program for Community College Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree Holders

This degree is often referred to as an "upside-down" degree because it reverses the usual order of beginning with general university course requirements and finishing with studies in a specialized field in order to complete a four-year bachelor's degree. This program allows a student to complete an A.A.S. degree at a Washington state or approved out-of-state community college in a specific field and subsequently to come to Whitworth for completion of the general education requirements as well as the upper-division credits required for a bachelor's degree.

A.A.S. Degree Credits Accepted by Whitworth

Whitworth will accept credit from selected associate of applied science degrees from regionally-accredited Washington state or approved out-of-state community colleges if a student chooses to apply that credit toward one of Whitworth’s evening degree programs. The student will transfer in with 60-64 semester credits (depending upon the total number of credits earned through the A.A.S. degree), and will be granted junior standing. A list of accepted A.A.S. degrees is available in the Whitworth School of Continuing Studies Office or on the continuing studies website.

Admission Requirements for Community College A.A.S. Degree Transfer

In addition to the School of Continuing Studies' admission requirements, applicants for the "upside-down" A.A.S. transfer degree program must meet the following criterion:

  • Completion of an approved A.A.S. degree within the last 10 years from a community college in Washington or an approved out-of-state community college. If the A.A.S. degree is older than 10 years, the transcript will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis and/or evaluated based on the applicant's current use of the degree in her/his profession.

Transfer students are encouraged to contact the registrar's office to determine the applicability of their coursework to specific bachelor's degrees. General information can be given over the telephone (toll-free at 800.533.4668). To obtain a complete transcript evaluation, send the request with an official copy of college transcripts to Registrar's Office, Whitworth University, 300 W. Hawthorne Road, Spokane, WA 99251.