Student Information for Undergraduate Commencement
The application for undergraduate candidates will open in early September and close on Monday, Dec. 2. All students must apply to graduate regardless of whether they plan to walk in the commencement ceremony. Failure to apply may result in additional administrative fees.
(Whitworth login required)
Students participating in the commencement ceremony must order and wear caps, gowns and tassels supplied by Jostens.
Traditional daytime students are responsible for ordering their own cap and gown after completing their graduation application. Caps and gowns are free for traditional daytime undergraduate students as long as they are ordered by Monday, Dec. 2. If students do not order the cap and gown by then, they will be responsible for the cost.
Continuing studies students are responsible for purchasing their own cap and gown after completing their graduation application. Caps and gowns will be shipped to the student's home. Orders must be placed by Aug. 15, 2020.
If a student has earned Latin honors, they will receive a cord from the university reflecting the corresponding honors. The only cords students are permitted to wear are those cords issued by Whitworth University representing Latin honors. No other cords should be worn at the commencement ceremony.
Questions regarding regalia may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latin honors are awarded as follows:
- 3.90 and above: summa cum laude (with highest honors) – gold
- 3.75 and above: magna cum laude (with high honors) – silver
- 3.50 and above: cum laude (with honors) – bronze
Latin honors that appear in the commencement program are based upon credits completed by the end of Jan Term. Final honors recognition will appear on transcripts and is based upon Whitworth University academic credits.
In order to receive their diploma, students must meet their financial obligations to Whitworth.
- Diplomas typically mail 6-8 weeks after degree requirements have been completed and will be sent to the address listed on students' graduation applications.
- Diplomas include students' names as they appear on the graduation application.
- Diplomas list name, degree and applicable honors. Major(s), minor(s), track(s)/concentration(s) and certification(s) will be listed on the official transcript.