Classrooms & Instruction
Our faculty have committed to maximizing in-person instruction this fall by using the innovative WhitworthFLEX approach, which emphasizes in-person, hybrid and modular course designs. This approach will allow students to engage with class activities and assignments no matter their individual circumstances. The specific implications of this approach will depend upon class size, a faculty member's ability to be in the classroom, and other particular needs of the course or discipline. Other details include:
- No more than 50 students will attend an in-person class at one time. Fortunately, the vast majority of Whitworth's classes are much smaller than this limit.
- Some faculty members who fall into high-risk categories will be approved to teach their entire course using distance methods.
- Students who for health reasons need to access all of their course content online will be able to do so.
- Because of classroom capacity constraints, many classes will employ a hybrid approach. For example, this may entail half of the class meeting in person on Tuesday and the other half of the class meeting in person on Thursday, while the half not attending class will be engaged remotely or with other components of the course's curriculum.
- Decisions are still being made concerning more specialized instructional areas, such as individual and ensemble vocal music and courses connected with theatre productions.
- Should the public health situation deteriorate in the fall such that all in-person classes are suspended for a period of time, faculty will be prepared to deliver course content exclusively online.
- Decisions about the Thanksgiving holiday and what modes of instruction will be available after the holiday will be made closer to those dates when more information is known.
- Tuition and fees will cover the added cost of these adjustments and flexibility, including the university's investments in technology upgrades, surveillance testing, contact tracing, isolation and quarantine spaces, and other needs. No tuition or fee refunds beyond the university's stated tuition refund schedule will be given based upon how courses are completed.