Close Menu

B.S. in Engineering: Information About Education Requirements to Sit for the FE and PE Exams

Last reviewed February 2024

Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) is not required to work in the field of engineering. However, some employment opportunities may require a PE license. Please consult the National Council of Examiners for Engineering & Surveying (NCEES) for links to state licensing agencies with up-to-date requirements to obtain that license. The first step towards a PE license is to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. Graduates of Whitworth's B.S. Engineering major, which is accredited by EAC/ABET, should take the appropriate FE exam (

Whitworth has not determined the educational requirements for licensure in every U.S. state and territory. To find the most current eligibility requirements for licensure in other states, please visit the NCEES website and contact the appropriate state agency. For more information about Whitworth's B.S. in Engineering program and general requirements for PE licensure, please contact Kamesh Sankaran, Ph.D. (