Whitworth Ministry Endorsement Information
- Express interest to one of the program advisors
- Enroll in Leadership Development course, preferably Foundations of Christian Leadership or Diverse Christian Leadership
- Apply during freshman or sophomore year (through the Campus Ministry online application)
- Meet for at least one year with a mentor (subject to approval)
- Participate in a faith based small group
- Serve one summer in ministry through the OCE Summer Fellowship Program (or other approved practicum)
- Attend occasional lectures and conferences related to ministry at the suggestion of the Ministry Endorsement leaders
- Commit to at least one year of ministry on campus (as an RA, CMC, etc.) or off campus (church ministry, Young Life, Youth for Christ, World Relief, etc.)
In addition to theology major and minor requirements:
Complete one ministry skills course:
- TH 317: Cross-Cultural Ministry (3)
- TH 324: The Missional Church (3)
- TH 334: Youth Ministry (3)
- TH 339: Evangelism and Discipleship in a Post-Christian Context (3)
- TH 375: Soul Care Through Life Stages (3)
Complete one leadership development course:
- TH 172: Foundations of Christian Leadership I: Fall (2)
- TH 173: Foundations of Christian Leadership I: Spring (2)
- TH 381: Campus Ministry (2)
- TH 380: Young Life Practicum (3)
- TH 174: Diverse Christian Leadership (3)
Complete both ministry preparation courses:
- TH 433: Theology and Practice of Ministry I (1) - Spring
- TH 434: Theology and Practice of Ministry II (1) - Fall
The purpose of the mentoring component of this program is to assist training Ministry Endorsement participants as they seek to learn from their ministry experience. The best way to do that is by linking them with a person of wisdom and experience. We suggest that Ministry Endorsement participants use the following guidelines:
- Find a mentor who is experienced and available.
- Receive final approval from one of the advisers/leaders in the Whitworth Ministry Endorsement Program.
- Meet regularly with the mentor (every two weeks, minimum).
- Reflect on the following questions during your meetings:
- How are you doing in your life?
- What is God teaching you through your circumstances? Through Scripture? Through friendships? Through responsibilities?
- What are you doing and learning in ministry?
- What challenges are you facing?
- What responsibilities must you fulfill?
- What changes should you make in light of these questions?
- What disciplines should you put into action?
- End every meeting in prayer.
The purpose of the small group component to this program is to allow ministry Ministry Endorsement participants to create a support system for them during their ministry experience. The goal of a small group is that it would become your primary spiritual community. We suggest that ministry Ministry Endorsement participants use the following guidelines when seeking a small group:
- Find a small group directly through the ministry that you serve in, at your church, on campus or informally.
- Receive approval from one of the advisers/leaders in the Whitworth Ministry Endorsement program.
- Encourage depth, vulnerability and commitment from each member of your small group, also demonstrating these characteristics yourself.
- End each small group meeting in prayer.
- Note: If you have trouble finding a small group, please contact one of the program advisers and they can help you plug in on campus.
- Forrest Buckner: email@example.com