Photo & Video
Marketing & communications' photo and video team captures the diverse and unexpected experiences that make Whitworth great. Our team's work communicates Whitworth's brand and advances its mission through contributions to publications like Whitworth Today, the President's Report, advertisements, the Whitworth website and student recruitment materials.
We document events of campus-wide significance. For photo needs specific to your department, please contact one of our university-approved freelance photographers. Fill out the video request form to submit a video idea.
Here are a few examples of the types of events our office documents:
- Move-In Day
- Undergraduate commencement
- Daily campus life
- Events with media interest (work with media relations manager Trisha Coder to determine this)
Individual departments can arrange and fund photography and videography for events like:
- Lectures, concerts, stage productions
- Athletics and other team competitions
- Group photos
- Department gatherings or receptions
- Graduate photos
Not sure what category your photo and video needs fit into? Contact Liz Strauch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Photo Archive
- Photo Request Form
- Video Project Request Form
- Release to Record Form (Audio and Video)
- Model Release Form
- Kat Wagner: 909.374.1187 or email@example.com
- Website: www.katskyephoto.com
- Fee: Please contact Kat to request a cost estimate. Kat is on the university communications team part time and is available for photography outside of those hours.
- Kirk Hirota: 509.879.0670 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.hirotaphoto.com
- Fee: Please contact Kirk to request a cost estimate. Kirk shoots on-site candid photos such as sporting events or performances; he also does more formal studio-type photo shoots with lighting and professional equipment. He shoots digital images and provides the files electronically. Please contact him at least two weeks before the date of your event. During the academic year Kirk is available weekdays before 10 a.m. and after 3 p.m., and weekends.
- Matt or Becky Prior: 509.385.1569 or email@example.com
- Website: www.priormoments.com
- Fee: Please contact Matt or Becky to request a cost estimate. Prior Moments shoots on-site candid photos such as sporting events or performances as well as headshots and group photos. They shoot digital images and can either transfer the images to CD or give the full size images to you online. Please contact Prior Moments at least two weeks before the date of your event. There may be flexibility for special circumstances.
- Other freelancers: If you know of another freelancer (photo or video) you would like to work with, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
Policies for Outside Photography and Videography
- Proof of liability insurance: If working with a contractor who is not on our freelancer list, please contact email@example.com at least 48 hours in advance and provide the contractor's proof of liability insurance, the dates and locations of the shoots, and details about how photos/video will be distributed. Students, faculty and staff must provide permission to be on camera.
Commercial or political campaign photography: As a private, nonprofit university, Whitworth cannot permit the use of its campus for photography or video that advance businesses or political figures. If you have a special circumstance, please contact us before making arrangements.
Drone photography: All campus drone photography must be conducted by a licensed drone photographer. Please let the marketing & communications office know and provide proof of licensure and liability insurance at least 48 hours in advance so we may communicate with campus security and other affected parties.
Accessing and Using Media
All photography taken by the university is owned and copyrighted by the university and should not be used outside of the university context without permission. These photos are available to view on our photo archive.
To request the use of a photo from the photo archive, please use the Photo Request Form. Video files are shared via a campus link for review before they are uploaded to our YouTube channel.
Drop-in portrait sessions are available for all faculty, and staff if needed. Sessions are arranged each year and announced in advance via Pirate Port.