Close Menu

State Reciprocity: School Counseling

Last reviewed February 2024

Whitworth University's School Counseling program is designed to prepare students for school counselor certification in the State of Washington. To help prospective students determine whether Whitworth's programs meet educational requirements and licensure in other states, the following information on state reciprocity for school counseling is provided for the states of Oregon, Idaho, California, Hawaii and Colorado. If a state is not listed here, then Whitworth has not made a determination whether our school counseling program can meet educational requirements and licensure in that state. However, a list of states and their certification requirements and the links to their state certification office is provided in the link below. Please contact the respective certification office for assistance in determining whether or not your Educational Staff Associate Certificate will be accepted by another state.

State Certification Requirements  

Oregon (Meets Educational Requirements)

SC Reciprocity to Oregon

Reciprocity allowed via reciprocal school counselor license, a three-year nonrenewable license issued to applicants who have held an out-of-state school counselor license or who have completed an out-of-state program in school counseling. The applicant must hold a master's degree or higher. It is valid for regular or substitute school counseling at any level.
Background Check: Yes, fingerprints. Reciprocal License information may be found at:  

Idaho (Meets Educational Requirements)

SC Reciprocity to Idaho

Reciprocity is allowed for applicants who have completed an out-of-state program in school counseling. Requirements and application material include:

  • Official transcripts indicating an earned master's degree from a regionally accredited, state-approved institution.
  • Institutional Recommendation form (found online at the link below) verifying the successful completion of a state-approved School Counselor program.
  • Must meet recent credit requirement of six semester credit hours within the last five years.
  • Verification of the completion of 700 clock hours of supervised field experience, 75 percent (525 hours) of which must be in a K-12 school setting, to include elementary, middle and high schools. Previous school counseling experience may be considered to help offset the field experience clock hour requirement. Institution recommendation is required.
  • Idaho Criminal History check (Idaho State Patrol and FBI fingerprint clearance) is also required.

Details can be found at:

California (Meets Educational Requirements)

SC Reciprocity to California

Individuals must satisfy all of the following requirements:

  • A bachelor's degree or higher, except in professional education, from a regionally accredited college or university.
  • Complete post-bachelor's degree study consisting of a minimum of 30 semester units specializing in school counseling, including a supervised field experience with school-age children. Programs accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) meet this requirement. 
  • Obtain a letter verifying field experience on original, official letterhead from the college or university’s education department.
  • Applicants must verify eligibility for the equivalent credential authorization. A photocopy of the out-of-state credential is acceptable verification of this requirement, as is an eligibility letter from the institution where the program was completed or the state agency responsible for issuing the certificate.
  • If the out-of-state preparation program does not fit this pattern, the applicant must contact a California college or university with a Commission-approved school counseling program for an evaluation and formal recommendation.
  • Complete the basic skills requirement. Out-of-state prepared applicants who have not satisfied the basic skills requirement may contact their California employer about the possibility of obtaining a One-Year Nonrenewable (OYNR) Credential pending the completion of the basic skills requirement.
  • Complete state application. Out-of-state residents must submit two fingerprint cards in lieu of a Live Scan receipt. If submitting fingerprint cards, current fingerprint processing fees must accompany the application packet.
  • Pay the application processing fee.

Details can be found at:

Hawaii (Does Not Meet Educational Requirements - See NASDTEC Requirement)

SC Reciprocity to Hawaii

Reciprocity is allowed for applicants who have completed an out-of-state program in school counseling. Requirements are as follows:

  • Completion of a master's degree in School Counseling and Guidance from a regionally accredited college or University. Counseling and Guidance program must meet the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) or state standards.
  • Program must include a practicum, internship or equivalent in a k-12 school setting as requirements of the degree.
  • Must pass all scores by 4th year of employment. (1) Praxis I (PPST): Reading: 172, Writing: 171, Mathematics: 173; AND (2) Praxis II (PLT): Principles of Learning & Teaching: K-6: 163 or 7-12: 157; AND (3) Praxis II: School Counseling and Guidance: 580.
  • Institution recommendation is also required via the Institutional Program Completion Verification form.

Details can be found at:

Colorado (Does Not Meet Educational Requirements - See CACREP Requirement)

SC Reciprocity to Colorado

Reciprocity is allowed for applicants who have completed an out-of-state program in school counseling. The requirements are as follows: 

  • Master's or higher degree in School Counseling as defined by accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling for Related Educational Programs (view information about CACREP Accreditation).
  • Minimum of 100 clock-hour practicum.
  • Minimum of 600 clock-hour internship, with multiple grade levels of students under the supervision of a licensed school counselor.
  • Passage of the Colorado State Board of Education-approved content exam.

Details can be found at: