Close Menu

State Reciprocity: Teacher

Last updated May 26, 2022

Whitworth University's teacher preparation programs are designed to prepare students for teacher certification in the State of Washington. Generally, all other states will issue a Whitworth graduate who is certified by Washington State a minimum of a one-year temporary certificate/license while the candidate’s records are being evaluated by the receiving state. Since state requirements for certification and licensure vary widely and frequently change on an ongoing basis, Whitworth has not determined at this time if our teacher preparation programs specifically meet the current educational requirements in other states. However, by planning ahead with Whitworth's Office of Certification and Career Services, students can generally address additional educational requirements, prior to graduation, to be certified to teach in other states.

Whitworth University is proud to house the Office of Certification and Career Services in the School of Education. The office has dedicated staff to support students in applying for certification and licensure and open teaching positions within and outside of Washington State. To ensure you have access to the most recent requirements for a state, you can check their state department of education webpage or contact Crystal Weddington (Director of Certification and Career Services at Whitworth University, for more information on whether Whitworth’s teacher preparation programs will meet current certification and licensure requirements in your state.

To help prospective students understand transferability requirements for other states, the following information on state reciprocity for teacher certification is provided for the states of Oregon, Idaho, California and Hawaii. The information below is intended to reflect current information on the most common states where Whitworth students relocate after graduation.


The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) created the Interstate Agreement to help fill teacher shortages by allowing teachers to transfer their license more easily from state to state. States who participate in the Interstate Agreement create a reciprocity statement that outlines all requirements out-of-state teachers must complete prior to earning reciprocity.



Teaching Reciprocity Agreements in Oregon: Out-of-state teachers seeking licensure in Oregon must first earn a Reciprocal Teaching License. You can do this by having your fingerprints cleared by the Oregon State Patrol and FBI for a background check, submit your official transcripts verifying your bachelor's degree and successful completion of a state accredited teacher preparation program. You may also take the extra step of submitting all of your testing scores for your current out-of-state license. Although this is not a requirement, it will help TSPC provide you with the best advice for indicating what Oregon standard license you should work towards earning.

You can find details about Oregon's reciprocity agreement below.

  • NASDTEC Interstate Agreement: Yes, Oregon does participate.
  • Coursework Requirements: No additional coursework is required.
  • Test-out or Exemption: N/A.
  • Assessment Requirements: Once you hold your Reciprocal Teaching License, you will have one year to work towards meeting the requirements of an Oregon Preliminary or Professional teaching license. Your reciprocal license cannot be renewed. The requirements include qualifying for an Oregon endorsement by passing an Oregon approved subject matter test. You may be eligible for a waiver to the subject matter test if you provide evidence of passing your state's subject matter test, if your state is a NASDTEC participating state.
  • Different Requirements Based on Experience: Licensed out-of-state teachers with five, or more, years of experience who have completed a teacher preparation program are eligible to wave the subject area testing requirements.
  • Performance Requirements: Out-of-state teachers do not need to show proof of effectiveness as a teacher.
  • Special Reciprocity for Advanced Credentials: Yes. Applicants who hold a valid out-of-state license from a state that participates in NASDTEC may be able to bypass the Reciprocal Teaching License and immediately qualify for a Preliminary or Professional License. If you meet all of the reciprocal license requirements as well as the requirements for the Preliminary or Professional License, you may be eligible to apply for the license level that corresponds to your current out-of-state license. You can read about the Preliminary and Professional License requirements at the beginning of this article to determine if you might qualify.


A three-year, non-renewable interim certificate is issued to those wishing to teach in Idaho and are licensed in another state. During this time, you may be required to complete an Idaho literacy and technology course, but each individual's credentials will be evaluated to determine specific requirements, including testing needs. Applicants must also clear a background check and receive their Idaho state fingerprint clearance card before they can begin working.

There is a possibility to receive a renewable five-year certificate if your transcripts and test scores are comparable with Idaho's requirements. The fee for the application for this certificate is $75. The table below gives a more granular description on the various aspects of teacher reciprocity in Idaho.

  • NASDTEC Interstate Agreement: Idaho is a participating state in the NASDTEC agreement.
  • Coursework Requirements: Before receiving a Standard Certificate, you may be required to complete an Idaho Comprehensive Literacy exam and a Mathematical Thinking for Instruction exam. Out-of-state candidates are granted a three-year nonrenewable certificate following completing these course requirements. Depending on the hiring district, you may also have to take technology courses.
  • Test-out or Exemption: In order to test out or receive an exception, you will have to take the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course or pass the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy assessment.
  • Assessment Requirements: There are assessment requirements in Idaho, however not for all candidates. The state requires that candidates take and pass the Praxis II exam that tests for content proficiency in an endorsed area. If you have obtained an out of state certificate and pass a content test comparable to that of the Praxis II exam, you may not be required to take the Praxis II exam. The test can also be waived if the candidate has completed and can provide verification for a master's degree in a specific content area.
  • Different Requirements Based on Experience: No. Out-of-state applicants who have certification from another state with at least two years of teaching experience and those who are not certified in any other state, and who submit a recommendation from an approved certification program, may be eligible to receive a three-year Interim Certificate upon clearance of a background check. Once all the requirements of the Interim Certificate are completed, you may apply for a renewable five-year Standard Certificate.
  • Performance Requirements: No.
  • Special Reciprocity for Advanced Credentials: No. Idaho has two license levels regardless of experience–Interim and Standard. All candidates are eligible for an Interim Certificate while they complete the requirements for a Standard Certificate. 


Out-of-state applicants

The CTC also outlines specific requirements for obtaining certification if you're a teacher applying from out of state. Submit the following materials to qualify for a credential:

  • A completed application form and processing fee
  • Official transcripts for a bachelor's degree or any additional degrees
  • A copy of your valid teaching license
  • Evidence of fingerprint processing

See site for additional, endorsement-specific requirements.


The Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) requires that all completers of an educator preparation program which is approved in a state other than Hawaii, who seek licensure in Hawaii, submit the following documentation for review:

  • Official transcripts of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or the equivalent from a non-U.S. institution;
    • A course-by-course evaluation from a member of the National Association for Credential Evaluation Services ( must be submitted for transcripts issued by a non-U.S. institution.
  • Official transcripts of satisfactory completion of a state-approved teacher, librarian, or counselor educator preparation program;
  • Official passing scores for the following HTSB approvedlicensure tests:
    • Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics;
    • Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) for recommended grade level(s); and
    • Praxis content test(s)
      • Candidates who are seeking licensure in a World Language may submit HTSB passing score(s) from the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).
  • Professional fitness clearance from HTSB;
  • A valid government-issued ID as prescribed by HTSB policy; and
  • A copy of your valid out-of-state teaching license.

A Standard license may be issued if the applicant satisfies teaching experience requirements set forth in the Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), in addition to fulfilling the foregoing requirements for a Provisional license.

Teaching Reciprocity Agreements in Hawaii

  • NASDTEC Interstate Agreement: Hawaii is a participating state with NASDTEC.
  • State Grants Full Reciprocity: Yes. Hawaii has full reciprocity for out-of-state applicants awarded their first license on July 1, 2006, or after.
  • Coursework Requirements: No, although candidates who do not meet the experience requirements or who have completed an educator preparation program but who do not hold a license in another state must meet content knowledge requirements to receive a Standard License.
  • Test-out or Exemption: No, the state does not have additional coursework requirements in place.
  • Assessment Requirements: In Hawaii, there are two forms of assessment requirements, basic skills and content knowledge.
  • Different Requirements Based on Experience: There are two forms of licensure in Hawaii based on experience-a Standard License or an Advanced License. If you have a teacher certification from another state, a certificate from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards or no certification at all you will need to apply for a Standard license. If you hold a Standard license in another state and have at least five years of satisfactory experience within the last eight years from another state you will need to apply for an Advanced License.
  • Performance Requirements: You will need to verify three out of the last five years of satisfactory full-time teaching in another state.
  • Special Reciprocity for Advanced Credentials: Yes, Hawaii's out-of-state applicants are eligible for an Advanced License if they have at least five years of satisfactory full-time teaching experience within the last eight years, and hold a master's, specialist or doctoral degree or a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certificate.

Out-of-State Certification Links

New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
West Virginia