The Dean's Executive Speaker Series
Chief Operating Officer, Remitly
Josh Hug joined Remitly after initially acting as a mentor for the company in the TechStars program. With members of his family living abroad, Hug has experienced firsthand the challenge of sending money across borders. He has a history of creating beautiful products, most recently as co-founder and CEO of Shelfari, a virtual bookshelf that was acquired by Amazon.com in 2008. He earned a B.S. in computer science and math from Whitworth in 2000, and he now serves as a volunteer in Kenya for Heroes of the Nation, which supports about 500 orphans.
Tips for success:
- Invest your time in what you want to do.
- Surround yourself with others who are smarter than you are.
- The ceiling can be determined early in your career.
- Seek out challenges and problems. Solve problems and you will be recognized.
- Learn from others' mistakes.
- Understand your market.
- Cash is king.
- Revenue is life.
- Relationships matter for both fundraising and acquisitions.
- Get strategic investors.
- Pick good lawyers.
- Company culture is critical.
- Leading a startup is emotionally taxing.
- Share your fears with someone.
- Losing employees is difficult.
- Selling a company that doesn't make money is difficult.
- Don't be afraid to fail. Fear of failure limits success.
- Do what God created you to do.
- Someone did it for the first time. Why can't you?
- Trust God and act decisively.
- Be ready to seize opportunities when they present themselves.