Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the credit load for attending full time?

Whitworth's full-time credit load for its adult degree programs is typically nine semester credits in both fall and spring, and just six credits during the summer. Each semester is divided into sessions (three for fall, three for spring, and two for summer) allowing students to concentrate on just one three-credit course at a time.

What would my schedule look like?

Whitworth's evening degree programs are designed for students who work during the day. Most courses meet one to two nights per week, with class starting at 6 p.m. Some courses may also meet one to two Saturdays each six-week session. 

Can I choose to pursue an online degree at Whitworth?

The School of Continuing Studies offers flexible learning options for students. Students pursuing degrees in Business Management, Management & Accounting, Criminal Justice Administration, Public Service Administration, Humanities, and Human Services may complete required coursework online. Students pursuing Teacher Certification can choose to complete shared curriculum coursework online, but all courses in the major are completed in person at the north Spokane campus. 

  • Online: Students who choose to attend classes online will attend remotely via Zoom or another videoconferencing program, interacting with their instructor and classmates in real time.
  • In person: Students attending in person will have class on campus in north Spokane or at the U-District location.

What is the age range of continuing studies students?

The majority of our students are between 25 and 44 years of age, although our students range in age from 21 to 72.

What is the difference between quarter and semester credits?

In an academic year at a school using the quarter system, there are typically four quarters (including summer), each lasting 11-12 weeks. In comparison, a school on a semester system has three semesters that last 15-18 weeks in length (including summer). Whitworth is on a semester system.

If your transfer courses were earned at a quarter-system college or university, Whitworth will convert them to semester credits for transfer. You lose no credits in that process. For a rough estimate, multiply your quarter credits by .67 to determine how many semester credits you may receive at Whitworth. Your advisor can assist you in determining how your credits will transfer.

I work full time during the day. Is there any way I can complete my bachelor's degree in the evening without going to school forever?

Yes. Whitworth designed its adult degree programs specifically for working professionals. A traditional daytime program makes it difficult for busy adults to access the courses they need, when they need them. The evening six-week course format allows you to complete at least three courses in the fall, three courses in the spring, and two courses in the summer, allowing you to complete your bachelor's degree with a schedule that works for you.

I don't know where to begin the process of returning to college. What's my first step?

Call us at 509.777.3222. We can answer your questions or put you in contact with the right person to help you get started.

Is financial aid available for working adults?

Yes. Adult students may qualify for federal aid, depending on their income and the degree program they are entering. Contact the Whitworth Financial Aid Office at 509.777.3215 for more information. Adult students should also check with their employers, who often have tuition-assistance or reimbursement programs for employees.

I work full time, and I have my A.A. degree from a community college in Spokane. How long will it take me to get my bachelor's degree?

That depends on how many credits you want to complete in a year. Typically, students can complete 24-30 semester credits per year by taking a full schedule of accelerated courses (six-week evening courses). A student transferring to Whitworth with two years of coursework from an approved community college can usually finish a bachelor's degree in two to three years.

Does Whitworth accept military credit?

Yes. Depending upon what type of credit you've earned, Whitworth does recognize some military credit as college-level coursework. Contact the Whitworth School of Continuing Studies (509.777.3222) for more information.

Will Whitworth's evening bachelor's degree programs transfer to a master's-degree program?

Yes. You do not actually "transfer" to the graduate school; most master's-degree programs require a bachelor's degree, just as you would need a high-school diploma or GED for acceptance into a two- or four-year college. Graduate schools may require specific undergraduate courses in order for you to enter their programs. Check with the master's-degree program you are interested in to determine the undergraduate coursework required for admission.

I have my bachelor's degree but I want to become a public school teacher; can I do that?

Yes. Whitworth offers two options:

  • If you work full time but still want to work toward your teaching certificate and/or master's degree, consider our accelerated-format Teacher Certification Program.
  • The second option is a master's in teaching (MIT). The MIT is a full-time 13-month program that allows you to earn your teaching credentials and a master's degree at the same time.

Call 509.777.3222 for more information.