Close Menu

On-Campus Employment

Working on campus is a great opportunity for international students to earn additional funds while gaining workforce skills and experience. While off-campus employment opportunities (CPT, OPT) generally require you to have completed one academic year, on-campus employment is available to international students from their very first semester. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 regulations.


As an F-1 student, your visa status permits you to work on campus at Whitworth University. Your I-20 is your proof of eligibility for on-campus employment. However, be sure your employment is truly classified as "on-campus employment:"

  • Employment for Whitworth University
  • Employment at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with Whitworth University. The employment must be an integral part of the student's educational program.

Time Limits

International students are only permitted to work a certain number of hours per week. Students who do not comply with these requirements are out of status and risk the termination of their immigration record.

International students are permitted to work:

  • Part-time (20 hours per week or less) during regular academic semesters (dates set by the Whitworth academic calendar and include exams week)
  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during Jan Term
  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during official break periods (Fall Break, Christmas Break, Spring Break and Summer Break)

Finding a Campus Job

On-campus jobs are posted on the Whitworth Student Employment website via the Handshake portal. This database advertises both on-campus and off-campus jobs. Be sure to filter your search to only look for on-campus jobs. If you have questions about the application portal, please contact Career Services at 509.777.4707.

Work Study Positions

Some campus jobs are designated as "work study" positions. Work study awards are part of federal financial aid packages and are only available to U.S. citizens. As an F-1 student, you are not eligible for a work study position and should not apply.

Social Security Number (SSN)

International students employed in the U.S. must have a Social Security number in order to be paid.


In order to receive a SSN, you must provide the Social Security Administration with evidence that you:

  • Are eligible to work in the U.S.
  • Are a full-time student
  • Have received a formal offer of on-campus employment

How to Apply

  1. Once you are offered a campus job, please download the SSN Employment Letter Template, complete it by entering in the information highlighted in yellow, and email the completed Word document to An immigration official in the international education office will print the document on letterhead, sign it and notify you when it is ready to pick up.
  2. Apply in person at the local Social Security Administration office.
    Address: 714 N Iron Bridge Way, Suite #100, Spokane, WA 99202
    (Contact office to verify operating hours: 800.772.1213.)
  3. Documents to bring:

Frequently Asked Questions