Close Menu

What Not to Bring to Whitworth

We are glad you will be a part of our community. With concerns for your safety and the safety of the community, the university has deemed that some items are not appropriate for the residence halls. The following is a list of items that are not permitted in the residence halls. Additionally, please read What's Provided for information about what is already in your room and What to Bring, which details items necessary for university life.

Items not permitted in the residence halls:

  • Air conditioners
  • Cinder blocks
  • Electric hotplates, woks, and toaster ovens
  • Immersion coils
  • Electric skillets
  • Appliances with open heating elements (e.g. toasters)
  • Nails and screws of any size, foam tape or mounting squares, Scotch tape, masking tape, electrical tape, duct tape, filament tape, packaging tape, double-sided tape, hot glue, plastic stars, stickers with adhesive, and staples are not allowed for use on the walls, ceiling, floor, or any university-owned furniture (Sticky-tac/Plasti-tac, push pins, and blue masking tape (painter's tape) may be used on the walls and ceiling, but not on any wooden or wallpapered surface).
  • Wireless printers. (You'll be able to print to your building's wireless public printer instead.)
  • Sparklers or any type of fireworks, including firecrackers and smoke bombs
  • Weapons of any kind, including knives
  • Incense
  • Waterbeds
  • Non-university-issued lofts (lofts are only issued to students living in overflow housing)
  • Any kind of live animal (other than fish in a tank of not more than one gallon)
  • Halogen lamps
  • Light dimmers, ceiling fans, or any other device that replaces, adds to or interferes with any building fixture
  • Live Christmas trees or boughs
  • Candles may be used for decoration but may never be lit.
  • Any flammable and/or combustible liquids, including art supplies such as thinners, etc.
  • Extension cords exceeding six feet. (The university strongly encourages students to use surge protectors/power strips instead of extension cords.)
  • Non-university-issued space heaters