Close Menu

Billing: Tools, Frequently Asked Questions and Support


Students can use these great tools to help complete the steps to set up payment arrangements for their balance due: 

To see all charges for each academic year, use our annual payment calendar:

Frequently Asked Questions

Charges, Bills & Statements

When can I expect to receive a bill for the fall 2020 semester and the spring 2021 semester?

Students will receive an email in early July and January when billing statements, including balance due, are posted online for the upcoming semester. All billing information is available in Self-Service under Finance:

How often will I receive a student account statement?

Students receive an email each month reminding them to view their account statements in Self-Service Finance. The statement will reflect the current balance due (if there is one), charges, payments and credits.

When is the fall semester 2020 balance due?

Payment arrangements for fall semester 2020 are due by July 24. 

What if I have a credit due to me from spring 2020?

Students who have a credit balance from spring 2020 will see their credit on their statement in Self-Service Finance. The credit will be applied entirely to the fall 2020 semester. It is important to recognize that the balance due for the fall will be lower because of these applied credits. Costs in the spring will most likely be greater as there won't be a credit to apply. Students will need to plan accordingly.

What if I have a credit due to canceling a study abroad trip for spring semester 2021?

Credits resulting from canceling participation in a spring semester 2021 study abroad program will be refunded to students separately via check or ACH bank transfer to the student's personal bank account.

When am I charged for Jan Term and how much is it?

Jan Term 2021 fee will cost $325 for 1-5 credits. The charges for Jan Term will be billed with the spring 2021 semester charges.

If I want to pay my balance due, how do I do this?

Students can pay balance due by mail, in person or online.

For mailing checks, make them payable to Whitworth and send to:

Student Financial Services
Whitworth University
300 W. Hawthorne Road
Spokane, WA 99251

You may also pay by check or debit card in person at the cashier's window in McEachran Hall.

Additionally, you may make a one-time online payment using a U.S. credit or debit card* or e-check** by accessing the Nelnet Campus Commerce Make a Payment Portal.

*All debit and credit card payments (Mastercard, Visa, Discover and American Express) are subject to a 2.75 percent processing fee charged at the time the transaction is processed.
**Payments made directly from a checking or savings account for one-time online payments (e-checks) are subject to a $0.35 processing fee charged at the time the transaction is processed.

Why am I unable to access the monthly payment plan as a parent?

The monthly payment plan, through Nelnet, is integrated with your student's tuition account. Please have your student sign in to Self Service and select "Set up a Payment Plan."

How do I pay on my account with a 529 plan?

Whitworth accepts payments from all prepaid tuition plans. Funds are applied directly to the student's account. Following your plan's protocols, simply request the amount you wish to withdraw and have the funds sent directly to Whitworth at the address above. Please include the student's Whitworth I.D. number. 


What if I plan to take over 16 credits next semester?

Students may take 12-16 credits for the standard semester tuition rate. Credits beyond 16 credits are considered overload credits and will be charged the first week of classes. The cost of an overload credit is $1,220 per credit. It is important to factor overload credits into your semester costs when setting up payment plans and/or credit-based loans.

What if I am waitlisted for classes, so my credits are currently below 12 credits for full-time status?

Students are only charged for the classes for which they are registered. If you plan to add more credits, factor credits you plan to add into your charges and balance due when setting up payment arrangements, such as payment plans and credit-based loans.

Housing/Meal Plan Charges

Do I have to have a meal plan if I live on-campus?

Yes. All students living on-campus are required to have a meal plan. Meal plans vary and accommodate most students' eating habits and needs. To view the different plans, visit

Payment Plan

If I need to set-up a payment plan, where do I go?

You may choose to participate in our interest-free monthly payment plan each term, with automatic deductions from your U.S. savings or checking account or by using a credit card* or debit card*. The cost for this service is $35 per semester. Access the Nelnet Payment Plan.

*All debit and credit card payments (Mastercard, Visa, Discover and American Express) are subject to a 2.75 percent processing fee charged at the time the transaction is processed.
**Payments made directly from a checking or savings account for one-time online payments (e-checks) are subject to a $0.35 processing fee charged at the time the transaction is processed.

What is the cost of the payment plan?

The fee to set up an interest-free payment plan is $35 per semester. There are no other interest or service fees other than small charges for rejected payments.

When are the payments dates for the payment plan due each month?

The payment plan allows families to select a payment date that best works for them. Payments can be paid on the 15th or the end of the month.

How many months can I spread my payments out for a semester?

Payments can be spread out among three, four, five or six months. The month in which the payments start depends on the number of months in the selected payment plan. See below:

  • Six-month plan begins in July and ends in December
  • Five-month plan begins in August and ends in December
  • Four-month plan begins in September and ends in December
  • Three-month plan begins in October and ends in December

Financial Aid 

Is it too late to apply for financial aid?

It isn't too late to apply for financial aid with the 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid at Students may need to establish a plan for payment before their financial aid is in place to meet the July 24 deadline but can revise it once their financial aid offer is in place.

What if my federal student loans are not showing in my financial aid on Self-Service Finance?

If your federal loans are not included in your financial aid, you may need to complete a federal master promissory note. This can be done with your FSA I.D. at Once you have completed this process, allow a few days for the status to import and for the loans to be reflected in your total financial aid so you can complete your payment arrangements

What if my financial aid is showing "0" in Self-Service Finance, but I can see my financial aid offer?

This will occur when a student has not completed federal verification, has an invalid FAFSA and/or is not registered for the number of credits on which their financial aid offer is based. Students should review their checklist of items needed in Self Service, under Finance. Submitted documents can take up to two weeks to process. Once all documents are received and processed, your financial aid should be reflected according to your financial aid offer in Self-Service Finance.

Where can I see what is missing in my financial aid?

Students can review missing documents on their Financial Aid Checklist in Self Service

If I am in an Unsatisfactory Academic Progress status, what are my options?

Students who are not eligible for financial aid due to not making Satisfactory Academic Progress should complete a Satisfactory Academic Appeal Form.

How do I report outside scholarships so they are included in my financial aid towards my charges?

Scholarships that have been awarded to a student by outside parties, such as churches or other corporations, should be reported to financial aid. Students can report outside scholarships using the online Scholarship Reporting Form.

If I need to research Federal Parent Loans and/or credit-based loans, where do I go for information?

Information about federal parent loans and credit-based loans is available online at

Credit-based loans can take a couple of weeks to process. To include them in anticipated financial aid towards charges, students or parents should apply for these loans as soon as possible.

What is "Expected Financial Aid"?

Expected Financial Aid is aid like private educational loans, outside scholarships, tuition remission/exchange. Students who have financial aid indicated as "expected" should use this aid towards their balance due when calculating their balance due.

How do I receive funds from student employment/work study?

Students are not guaranteed or limited to the student employment or work study funds listed in their financial aid offer. Students must apply for and be hired for a student employment position to receive these funds. The amount earned will depend on hours worked and rate of pay; Washington's minimum wage is currently $13.50/hour. On-campus job opportunities will be posted right before classes start in fall. Students are paid twice a month either by check or electronic funds transferred into their bank accounts. Since these funds are uncertain, student employment or work study earnings are not to be used towards the balance due in the billing process.


Streamline communications by:

  • Designating a parent, guardian or other trustedadvisor as a "proxy" to have access to your account
    • Via Self-Service, under "User Options", click on "View/add proxy access"
  • Signing up to receive an electronic 1098-T form
  • Establishing an electronic transfer of funds via ACH to receive any credit balances and student employment paychecks directly into your personal bank account

Whitworth's Student Financial Services Staff is available to answer your questions.