Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for certification?

Upon successful completion of program and state requirements for certification, the Whitworth Educational Certification & Career Services Office will recommend the candidate to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) for official certification. The Whitworth Educational Certification & Career Services Office will then email the steps for applying for the certificate to the candidate.

What certification fees will I need to pay?

The certification fees are established by the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) and vary depending on the type of certificate you will receive. A full list of fees can be found online at Professional Certification Fee Schedule.

When will I receive my actual certificate from the state?

After you have applied for your certificate and paid your certification fees through eCertification, the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) will issue your official certificate. The issuing of your certificate can take 2-4 weeks. Once your certificate has been issued, OSPI will email you. You can then log into your eCertification account and print a copy of your certificate. OSPI no longer mails certificates.

When will my degree be posted? When and from where may I obtain transcripts?

Posting a degree is the responsibility of the Whitworth University Registrar's Office. Please make sure that your student account is clear before leaving campus as your degree will not be posted if you have an outstanding balance. You can still apply for a job with an "unofficial" (opened) transcript, and, if you have not yet graduated, districts will likely accept it without the degree posting and your file will be "pending program completion." You may obtain an unofficial transcript from the Whitworth Registrar's Office at any time or print it off of WhitNet. If you order an official transcript after your degree is posted, keep it sealed. When you secure a job in education, you will then need to supply the district with official transcripts of all your college/university coursework at that time. 

What if I am going out of state and need confirmation that I have completed my degree and certification?

Contact Crystal Weddington, Director of Educational Certification & Career Services, at 509.777.4405 or for additional assistance.

When I secure a position, what else do I need to do?

You need to notify our office by email at and also notify any other school districts to which you have applied so that they will no longer consider you for open positions. Be sure to thank them for their consideration of your candidacy.