Close Menu

Reimbursement Accounts

Flexible Spending Account

If you have predictable healthcare or dependent care expenses for the year, the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) may be a good way for you to pay for these expenses using tax-free dollars.

You can choose each plan year to defer some of your pay into one or both FSAs before federal, Social Security (FICA), Medicare or other taxes are withheld. By reducing your taxable pay, you end up paying less tax. Then, as you incur eligible expenses and have to pay for some or all expenses out of pocket, you can reimburse yourself for your share of the expense. The money goes into your account untaxed, and remains untaxed after you receive it. Contact the benefits team for more information and assistance at 509.777.4872.

Health Reimbursement Arrangement

Each plan year (beginning June 1), Whitworth contributes half of the annual deductible into an HRA. If you are a new employee, you will receive your contribution the first of the month following your date of hire.

You and any family members covered under the university medical plan can use the HRA funds to cover your out of pocket medical expenses like co-pays, prescription drugs, deductibles and co-insurances, as well as dental and vision expenses. 

To get reimbursed, you must submit an Explanation of Benefits and/or itemized invoice/receipt to Total Administrative Services Corporation (TASC). Contact the benefits team for more information and assistance at 509.777.3872.