Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

When does the program begin and end?

The full-time Master in Teaching Program lasts approximately 13 months. The program begins in June and finishes the following June.

When are applications due?

April 1, unless program capacity has been reached prior to that date. If space allows, strong applications may be considered after this time. We recommend that you submit your application materials as soon as possible. We begin reviewing applications as early as September.

What exams do I need to take?

There are two types of exams required for all teachers in Washington state: a basic-skills test and an endorsement-area content exam.

Basic-Skills Test:
Normally, the WEST-B Exam is required for incoming teachers. It is possible, though, that if you meet some of the minimum scores from the SAT or ACT, you may not have to take a portion of the WEST-B exam; in some cases, you will not be required to take the test at all. The WEST-B has three sections – math, reading and writing. You need not pass this exam before beginning the program, but you must at least attempt the test before the program begins. The test must be passed by the end of the first summer term. 

Endorsement-Area Content Exam:
You will take the WEST-E or the NES exam in your area of endorsement (elementary, secondary, etc.). You need not pass this exam before beginning the program, but you must at least attempt it before the program begins. The test must be passed by the end of the fall term.

For more information visit:

What does it mean when you say the program is a "full-time day program"?

The full-time Master in Teaching Program lasts approximately 13 months. Because you earn a master's degree and a teaching certificate in a little more than one year, the coursework and time in the classroom require full-day attendance – basically, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. You will, however, enjoy all public-school vacations and holidays.

What if I already have a teaching certificate?

The Master in Teaching Program is specifically designed for those who hold a bachelor's degree in a field other than education and who desire to teach, but do not yet have a teaching certificate. If you already hold a teaching certificate and if you're interested in attending Whitworth to earn a master's degree in education, school administration or counseling, please contact us at 509.777.3222, or visit

Can I take credits toward my endorsement while I'm in the program?

Before their first day of class in June, all MIT students must have fulfilled a bachelor's degree and completed the coursework requirements to teach in the subject area they desire. On a case-by-case basis, admitted students are permitted to continue to take courses toward their endorsement, though this is neither recommended nor the norm. Students who are working on two endorsements must have completed outside courses toward their primary endorsement before beginning the program and may continue to work toward the second endorsement only with advisor approval. A plan for completion of desired endorsements must be approved and finalized prior to the student’s first day in the MIT program.

What if my bachelor's degree is in a different subject than one in which I want to teach?

It is possible to earn an endorsement in a subject area that differs from your undergraduate academic major. Because Washington state endorsement requirements are based on content coursework and not on degrees earned, you may need to take extra classes in the area in which you want to teach. For more information about endorsements and courses required to earn a certificate in a specific content, please contact the MIT advisor at 509.777.3769.

Can I transfer coursework from a different program?

The MIT program at Whitworth is a cohort-based model. This means that all students take each core class as a group. Additionally, MIT courses are offered only at the graduate level and are highly specialized, so it is not likely that coursework from another institution or program will match up. In the rare instance that a previously completed course is the same in content and structure, students may petition the faculty to be excused from the course at Whitworth. Petitions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Can Whitworth's MIT program provide an endorsement in career and technical education (such as mechanics, woodshop, family & consumer sciences, or computer technology)?

Because the fields of career and technical education are highly specialized, teachers in these disciplines are certified directly through local districts. Individuals with experience and interest in these related fields who wish to teach in Eastern Washington should contact the following office:

ESD 101 (Educational Services District 101)
General Information, 509.789.3800