Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Ministries
Although campus ministry provides a variety of opportunities for all Whitworth students to take steps closer to Jesus, students have special opportunities to build relational bridges and grow spiritually through Whitworth Campus Ministry Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Ministries:
- TH 174: Diverse Christian Leadership: A course co-taught in the fall & spring semester by Stephy Nobles-Beans and Dean of Spiritual Life Forrest Buckner. Students explore the intersection of Christian faith, diversity and leadership and are equipped to be Kingdom leaders in their unique way.
- WERE (Women Ever Rising Every Day) Bible Study: A weekly gathering for female students at Whitworth to come together to build authentic relationships, share their stories of faith, and welcome all who want to participate (regardless of previous knowledge or faith background).
- WERE Conference: Women from the campus and the community come together for a time of sharing the gospel through praise, worship and the word of God.
- Brown Girl Magic, Sprinkling our Leadership to Make a Better World: A mentoring program for women of color through which students have the opportunity to meet and share their journey and find support at Whitworth. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors mentor incoming freshmen, as well.
- Pastoral Mentoring and Counseling: Stephy Nobles-Beans meets regularly with students who are asking questions about faith and life or seeking to grow in their walk with Christ.
- Gospel Explosion: A campus and community event that is now 24 years in the making. Students, faculty, staff and the community gather in our chapel to enjoy praise and worship from local churches; it is a time of fellowship for all who attend.
Meet the Staff
Stephy Nobles-Beans, M.A.
Associate Chaplain for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Ministries
Stephy Nobles-Beans is an adjunct professor and associate chaplain for Whitworth Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Ministries. Nobles-Beans has been in campus ministry for the last 17 years and has been employed at Whitworth for over 24 years. She is an alumna of the university and truly loves and enjoys the students.
If you are on campus, stop by Stephy’s office in the chapel to meet her or set up a time to connect (email@example.com or 509.777.4568). A visit to Stephy’s office includes four things: love, hugs, chocolate and a chance to receive prayer from a loving woman of God!
Marni Nazareno ’21
Graduate Intern for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Ministries
Stop by campus ministry and meet Marni – you won’t be disappointed! She is excited to get to know you. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A message from Marni:
I am so excited to serve as the Graduate Assistant Ministry Intern for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. I graduated from Whitworth University with a degree in community health, and I have never felt more called to channel my passion for racial justice towards this ministry. In this work I hope to open up conversations about identity, faith and diversity, and have students think critically about these issues. I am anticipating what God has in store for me and I am expectant of how He will work through me to better serve others. I hope to learn more about God, myself, and others through this campus ministry role and through pursuing a Master of Arts in theology. I hope that in this ministry I encourage others to be themselves and uplift every aspect of their being especially students of color and those who are underrepresented. I hope that as a woman of color I can help be a support system or simply another friendly face on campus for students whom I can share different perspectives and experiences with as well as walk alongside during such a formative time in their life and education. I look forward to growing more in love with Christ and others, and truly embodying a servant heart. I strive to follow Jesus with my whole person, alongside others, and I hope to inspire others to do the same.