A selection of vans are available for you to use on approved university business. For the foreseeable future, all trips must be conducted in accordance with any travel guidance given by the COVID Care Team. Currently, vans are operating at full capacity, but masks are required for all passengers while in the vehicle. Trip leaders are responsible for bringing appropriate personal protective equipment and cleaning supplies.
|Vehicle||Hourly Rate||Daily Rate|
|Van 2 (4-7 seat minivan 1)||$7||$35|
|Van 3 (4-7 seat minivan 2)||$7||$35|
|Van 4 (12 seats + cargo)||$20||$100|
|Van 5 (15 seats)||$20||$100|
|Van 6 (11 seats + cargo)||$20||$100|
|Van 7 (12 seats, 4WD)||$20||$100|
(Cost per day is applied to trips running five hours or more in any 24-hour period.)
Travel Guidelines (August 2021)
As with many protocols affected by an evolving pandemic environment, university travel guidelines for the 2021-22 academic year are necessarily broad and subject to change. Based on current health information and budget constraints, Whitworth is authorizing travel for select purposes as follows:
- Student events that require in-person attendance, including athletic and forensic/ethics competitions.
- Admissions and advancement events that require in-person attendance.
- Essential academic conferences/seminars, with priority for faculty who are up for promotion and/or tenure and/or required to attend for certification purposes. All such travel must be approved by the provost.
As a general rule, travel for other purposes should be avoided. This recognizes the ongoing health risks of the pandemic, as well as the need to limit discretionary operating costs for budget purposes. A modest allowance is being made available for those few instances outside the above purposes where travel may be required. Requests for such events must be approved by a vice president, the provost or the president. Any travel will be guided by the CDC, state of Washington, NCAA and other agencies providing the most current information on travel protocols.
Reservation and Billing Policies
- Vehicle requests will be confirmed 3-4 weeks prior to departure based on vehicle availability, driver eligibility and programmatic necessity. Rental vehicles used to subsidize the university's fleet are subject to additional terms, so final vehicle assignment will be determined by facilities services.
- All vehicle requests will be honored to the best of our ability. In case of an unresolvable conflict, the following prioritization applies: academics, student life (including athletics), outdoor recreation and club activities. Requesters will be contacted in advance in such a case.
- Requests missing passenger count, driver name or destination will not be considered for vehicle assignment until complete and approved.
- Billing will be based upon the hours/days for which the vehicle has been reserved and/or signed out.Credit for early return of a vehicle will not exceed the rate for one hour's use of that vehicle.
- Late return of a vehicle will result in double charge for each hour/day or portion thereof beyond the time for which the vehicle was signed out.
Hourly vehicle rates (reservations four hours or less) include fuel. Per-day rentals (five-plus hours) do not include fuel; vehicles returned with less than the departure reading will incur a refueling charge.
Users are asked to cancel motor pool reservations a minimum of two business days before the scheduled departure time. Reservations canceled after the deadline will incur a $10 fee. Reservations canceled within 24 hours of scheduled departure, or not canceled at all, will be charged the full amount, not to exceed the cost of one day's rental.
- Any person (faculty, staff, student worker or university volunteer) intending to drive a university vehicle must be a certified driver, meaning he/she has a valid driver's license and has completed online training as required by the university's insurance company. Verification of this compliance must be on file with the facilities services office before anyone will be allowed to drive a university vehicle. You can view the current Certified Driver List (requires intranet access).
- Please note: Drivers with two or more accidents or moving violations within the past three years may not be eligible for certification.
- Passenger vans may only be operated by drivers certified by Facilities Services in accordance with the Campus Vehicle Policy. Please provide at least two weeks' advance notice if van training is required before your trip.
- Rental vehicles may only be operated by drivers over 21 years of age.
Operation of vehicles for official university business must be in compliance with the Campus Vehicle Policy; if you have questions about your eligibility to drive please contact facilities services.